MouseScrappers.com

MouseScrappers.com (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Challenges (gen'l info/notes) (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9739)
-   -   Get it backed up challenge! Nov 17 - 28 (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5692)

Carolc 11-17-2010 11:18 AM

Get it backed up challenge! Nov 17 - 28

Since several of our dear MouseScrapper friends have lost a lot of files, let us 'together' make an effort to back up all our files. I want to have us talk it out here (ask questions if needed) - I think we are at our best when we talk and chat about things (both for motivation and support). So let's try something new and do a 'back it up' challenge. I want to hear what files you have backed up - get it done by the end of Nov 28 (the weekend after Thanksgiving).

Files to remember to back up

- Photos

- layouts

- Scrapbooking elements (zipped or unzipped)

- documents

- Export your 'favorites' from your browsers

- Downloads

- Music

- Videos (thanks liriel!)

- Email (offline) / contacts (thanks hsmom!)

- Fonts (thanks discruiser!)

Help me add to this list! Please help us make this back up campaign successful by talking it out, even if to say when you plan to do it, your progress, goals, or how you do it...

My goal: get my files backed up by the end of this Sunday.

Thanks!!! :thanks:

liriel 11-17-2010 11:36 AM

Good idea Carol. Another item to back up is videos. I don't think my husband has backed up any of my digital scrapbook kits yet, so I need to get on him to do it before I lose everything.

tiggernjen 11-17-2010 11:51 AM

I agree Carol, I haven't had any problems yet, but before I do I will start backing up all my digital kits and layouts...Right now, they are on my EHD...I bought 100 CD about a week ago, but haven't done anything with them...My goal is to back up all my files on CD's by next week...I am going away this weekend, so I will start my back up on Monday... :thumbsup:

hsmom 11-17-2010 12:06 PM

All these are backed up to an EHD...still makes me nervous. Does anyone use a Carbonite type service and how do you like it?

How about your emails and your contact list?

roxana 11-17-2010 01:25 PM

I don´t have all my scrapbooking supplies backuped, just the Disney file that is huge :D. But all my scrapbooking kits are around 300GB and I would have to buy another EHD for it and my hubby says :no: way!
My pics and videos were just backed up last week in 2 EHD, and next week I´m making DVDs for each year as my D drive is getting full.
I´m backuping my layouts right now, once I lost all my regulars 2006@2008 and was terrible, i felt depressed everytime I thought in scrapping those pages again, but I have started again and now I´m happy because I´ve learn a lot since and my new pages will look way much better than the lost ones!
Email/contacts never realized it was important to back up them!

My goal for next week : finish backuping my layouts and my pics in dvds!

discruiser 11-17-2010 01:32 PM

I had to have my hard drive replaced (it hadn't failed, but due to the results of a diagnostic test, Dell said my HD was bad and needed to be replaced). Fortunately, I had time to make sure that I backed everything up before the new HD was put in. However, I had forgotten to backup all the fonts that I had downloaded. So...don't forget your fonts!

I also have multiple external hard drives and back everything up to all of them (although, a couple of them need to be updated). A friend of mine lost all her photos when her external hard drive failed.

WDW Scrap Princess 11-17-2010 01:41 PM

I have been a delinquent in backing up my files
but this thread is helping me to do it. I have my files in EHD but I am just looking at a service that allows me to do unlimited storage size for $40 a year.
I need to do this before I start backing up dvd's.

THank you for this! I need it!:flowers:

scrappinnewbie 11-17-2010 02:04 PM

Thanks for the motivation to back-up our stuff. I am hoping for a laptop on Black Friday and doing a massive back-up will then follow. I have done pretty well at backing stuff up, but need to do some recent purchases, photos and LO's.

Thanks for the challenge!

scrappinnewbie 11-17-2010 02:11 PM

I would also suggest that if you back-up your photos, etc... to DVD's that you consider taking them to an off-site location. Like your office, your parents....etc... That way if you ever had a house fire, you wouldn't lose all your stuff...

I know... sounds rather gloomy and I would never wish that on anyone, but it does happen. I know I would be devastated in losing all my possessions, but I would be sadder to lose my photos... They just can't be replaced.

Just wanted to toss out that suggestion...

PrincessMouse 11-17-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom (Post 45379)
All these are backed up to an EHD...still makes me nervous. Does anyone use a Carbonite type service and how do you like it?

The problem I see with most of these online backup services is that they only retain what you have active on your computer so if you fill up an EHD and replace it with a new one, the old one will fall off the online service after 30 days or so.

I back all of my final JPEGS up to externals, DVD's, and flickr pro (set on private). Flickr pro is $25/year and you have unlimited storage for JPEGS.