MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
TanyaH666
Sliding back and forth on Mickey's Fun Wheel

Software: CS5 and PSE8
Camera: Sony NEX-5R & QX-100
i really need to read the forums on the subject, lol. thanks for the settings help, cause i never would have done that! lol. i always think i need to make all these different adjustments and then the shutter speed is too long and then all i get is blurry pictures =(

my lens is the 28-70 f/2.8, i love it, but i am thinking i need the 50mm or 30mm for the dark places.
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Jungle Cruise I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Tanya! Speed Scrapper! Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Expedition Everest Magical Express Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pop Century Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Cutester Minnie Pumpkin King Kaa Ursula Pete Ive met another MouseScrapper Eiffel Tower

TanyaH666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
WenRob
Arrived in Orlando, waiting for Magical Express

Software: Corel PSP X3
Camera: Nikon D90 & D700 (woo hoo!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaH666 View Post
i really need to read the forums on the subject, lol. thanks for the settings help, cause i never would have done that! lol. i always think i need to make all these different adjustments and then the shutter speed is too long and then all i get is blurry pictures =(

my lens is the 28-70 f/2.8, i love it, but i am thinking i need the 50mm or 30mm for the dark places.
I forgot to mention I used spot metering as well.

I got away with the 28-70 f/2.8 on Small World and probably could have on Monsters, maybe Astro Blasters but Pirates you definitely need at least f/1.8.

At home I generally shoot manual because I have more time and I use an external flash inside so want to make it look as natural as possible. But things like Pirates, I got one chance so I let the camera work for me in that case. They need to be cleaned up for sure but I got the shots and that made me happy.

Also everyone needs to remember that most of those shots on the DIS are shot in RAW (I shoot RAW as well) and highly processed, they didn't come out of the camera looking that way, kwim? Half the work is setting things up and getting the shot, the other half is how you process it, just like it would be if you developed your own film.
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

WenRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
WenRob

Well, here is one. I don't have a lot of experience w/noise reduction software so it will take me a bit to develop a method to process them.
In retrospect I could have dropped my shutter speed a little bit and put a limit on my ISO pushing the EV if I had to. Like I said I had one shot at it so I'm still happy with what I got.
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
TanyaH666

yeah that looks alot brighter than the shots i have. i always shoot in manuel so that is not a problem, but next time i am gonna try your technique for the 28-70mm and see how it works for me.

2 more questions:

1) I am going on tuesday to see World of Color. I am assuming since the lights will be pretty bright, that i wouldn't have trouble getting pictures. What would be your advice for taking pictures of a nighttime water show? lol

2) What are the benefits of shooting in RAW? When i first got my camera and had no idea what i was doing or how to use photoshop yet, i took a couple days worth of pictures in RAW+JPG. But then got irritated at how long it took to upload them to the computer. Do you shoot in just RAW, edit them and then save them as JPG's? or do you hang on to the RAW image as well? dont they take up a lot of space?

ok that is all for now, lol.
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Jungle Cruise I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Tanya! Speed Scrapper! Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Expedition Everest Magical Express Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pop Century Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Cutester Minnie Pumpkin King Kaa Ursula Pete Ive met another MouseScrapper Eiffel Tower

Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
WenRob

Quote:
yeah that looks alot brighter than the shots i have. i always shoot in manuel so that is not a problem, but next time i am gonna try your technique for the 28-70mm and see how it works for me.

2 more questions:

1) I am going on tuesday to see World of Color. I am assuming since the lights will be pretty bright, that i wouldn't have trouble getting pictures. What would be your advice for taking pictures of a nighttime water show? lol

2) What are the benefits of shooting in RAW? When i first got my camera and had no idea what i was doing or how to use photoshop yet, i took a couple days worth of pictures in RAW+JPG. But then got irritated at how long it took to upload them to the computer. Do you shoot in just RAW, edit them and then save them as JPG's? or do you hang on to the RAW image as well? dont they take up a lot of space?

I would think WOC would be bright enough to use the F/2.8. I generally shoot manual myself but things are so fast paced at Disney my theory was find some settings that will work and stick to them. I personally would try the same tactic I used on Pirates. Shoot in shutter priority with a little bit of minus EV (-.07 was where I usually ended up at) and crank the ISO. The -EV is to keep from blowing the brighter parts while still capturing the dark parts. If you have a chance you can experiment with your ISO. For Pirates I had my SS set at 100 because they were moving and I was moving. Some of the darker scenes didn't come out all that hot but would have if I'd lowered my shutter speed a bit. I probably could have gotten away with 1/60-1/80. Since you won't be moving you may try in that range but you're not going to have as big of an ap. (I was at f/1.4) Turn off your focus light out of courtesy and depending on how big it is spot meter or center weight meter.

Okay RAW. The benifit of RAW is that the camera doesn't throw away all the extra info so you can pull a couple of stops either way without trashing your pic. Blow some highlights? Shooting in jpeg, tough patootie, they're gone, can't get them back. In RAW you can almost always get most of them back. Under expose pretty bad? Jpeg it looks pretty bad when you try to bring it up because the info just isn't there. RAW you have at least two stops leeway and can rescue some pretty bad shots. YOU decide what your pics are going to look like not the camera. It seems hard at first but once you have a system down you'll never go back.

I upload from my memory card right to the computer and it doesn't seem to take too long to me. Maybe I'm used to it? I store everything on an EHD w/DVD back ups. I never toss my RAWs that's like throwing away the negatives, kwim? If I have to clear some space I'll burn double DVD copies (yeah, I'm anal, lol) and clear older pics.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
WenRob

Here's a good example of why I shoot RAW. I'm guessing my camera metered for the sky rather then the kids. Of course it's the only one showing DS being brave enough to get an autograph (he's hidden behind DD but you can see he was there!). No way would this look half as nice had it been shot in jpg, there wouldn't have been enough info.
Before: After:

Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
inkspots
Enjoying the whimsy of PhilharMagic

Software: PSCS5, PSE 5.0
Camera: Canon 40D
Quote:

2 more questions:

If you can get away with it, I'd make sure you have a tripod, even a small one. You want a fast lens so the 2.8 should be good enough.

I have to ask though, what exactly is World of Color? Is it an add-on to Fantasmic or a completely different show? (we've not been following CA disney in a few years.)

inkspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #18
WenRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspots View Post
If you can get away with it, I'd make sure you have a tripod, even a small one. You want a fast lens so the 2.8 should be good enough.

I have to ask though, what exactly is World of Color? Is it an add-on to Fantasmic or a completely different show? (we've not been following CA disney in a few years.)
My first instinct was a tripod too but it's a show with moving things. While it would keep her camera steady it can't stop the blur of the action going on. I think approaching is as a night time parade (wide open lens, high ISO to get up SS) is the best bet. It'll be plenty bright to get a decent SS I think. The constant changing light is going to be the hardest part the exposure is going to be all over the place which is why I suggest shutter priority and spot metering. It'll automatically choose the best ap for the speed she wants to maintain. I'm a fan of manual but that's a lot of spinning back and forth, lol!

World of Color is a light show using a wall of water as a projection screen.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
inkspots
Enjoying the whimsy of PhilharMagic

Software: PSCS5, PSE 5.0
Camera: Canon 40D
THanks for WOC explaination. So, it's basically doing what they did with some of Fantasmic and making it bigger and better? I have NO idea if we'll get to do a Disney park this summer, but I'm really hoping. We'll be close to Disneyland and some-what close to Florida. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

inkspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
TanyaH666

yeah World Of Color is the new water show at Disney California Adventure. If you wanna cheat (and i already have) you can actually watch the whole show on youtube!