MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 12
Camera: Pentax k-x
Camera help

So my husband says I can get a new camera just before we go to Disney in Oct. He says I can get up to $500 worth of camera. I am tired of my point and shoot with no options for adjusting things myself and the crappy photos it takes. I love taking pictures and I work hard at trying to take really nice ones, change my angles, look for good lighting etc, but my current camera just disapponts me. Especially with indoor photos. they are almost always grainy and my house is not dark. I don't know a lot about photograpy or cameras, but am willing to learn some things. My question is should I go DSLR or go with an in-between camera (not DSLR but more options than a point and shoot)? I was looking at the new panasonic Lumix and the base level DSLR's but I know so little about cameras that I am not sure where to go from here. My husband thinks I should get the lumix, because his friends all say that the DSLR camera will be heavy and bulky to lug around with the kids and all. I picked one up at target today and it didn't seem all that heavy. Honestly I can keep the point and shoot for my purse for pics on the fly, but I need something that can take better photos. I have checked the camera reviews posted here and while they are helpful they are camera reviewers, and I don't know much of the technical jargon. I am hoping some of you here can give me your real life experience with what you decided on, DSLR or an in-between camera.
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Magical Express Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6~PSE10~SBC
Camera: Nikon D3300
I am in the same boat. Personally I have narrowed down to a
Canon DSLR with all the lenses etc.
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

WDW Scrap Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE10
Camera: Nikon D40
My DH has a Nikon D40 and I know nothing about cameras, but his is so easy that even I can use it... I have carried his while walking through Disney and I didn't think it was heavy..
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

tiggernjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
ILuvCrush
Having dinner at Ohana

Software: SBC+3.0
Camera: Sony Alpha-550 DSLR
I have a Sony DSLR.

It's bulkier than any point and shoot... but the photos are wonderful. I have full manual control or if my DH is using it...it has all the auto settings as well.

If you can get a DSLR. I think that you will be happier in the long run. You have the option to get different lenses after a while.. and you won't 'outgrow' it like it appears that you did with your point and shoot!

Scrappers want great pics... and you are going to use it... IMHO its worth it!

I have a little P&S that I keep in my purse... for on the fly too. I spent $300 on it and I hate the pics I get with it. I mean its better than nothing... but I would never use it for 'important' photos!
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Mouse Ears Monorail Eiffel Tower Mickeys shoe I link to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Contemporary Resort 2 Magical Express Star Tours Expedition Everest Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow D23 Member Captain EO Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pirate Flag Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Turkey Christmas Tree Cheshire Cat 1 Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Paula! France Italy United Kingdom Morocco Canada Germany

ILuvCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
leslie_537
E Ticket Holder

Software: Phtoshop CS 4
Camera: Nikon D40
I love Ken Rockwell, he has tons of tutorials on cameras even iPhone apps! He recommends this camera is you have less than $700 to spend. (You can get it now for $500 or less at Target.)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Here is one review on it, since you are worried about weight:

The D40 is Weightless!
The first thing I noticed, and so did my non-photographer wife, is that it's so light. We thought it would be much heavier, but no! It must be made of air. It's like not having a camera with you at all.
The light weight makes it a dream to carry around all day. Having a camera with you instead of left in the car or at home is the difference between getting a great shot or missing it.
My D40 lets me get make great results hand-held at slow speeds, probably because it also has very, very little shutter and mirror vibration.

End of Ken's Review!

My Review:

I have this camera and LOVE IT!
I lug it around everywhere.

On a side note you can rent a camera body and lens online for pretty cheap for a couple weeks and take that with you! I use rentglass.com for my lenses and they are great.
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey Pumpkin Monorail Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie\'s Bow Teacups Star Tours Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Captain EO Mickey\'s shorts Skyway Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog It\'s a Small World Thanks for making MouseScrappers a better place Leslie! Carousel horse Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Cheshire Cat 1 Pirate Flag Sorcerer\'s Hat

leslie_537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
I have a Sony DSLR.

It's bulkier than any point and shoot... but the photos are wonderful. I have full manual control or if my DH is using it...it has all the auto settings as well.

If you can get a DSLR. I think that you will be happier in the long run. You have the option to get different lenses after a while.. and you won't 'outgrow' it like it appears that you did with your point and shoot!

Scrappers want great pics... and you are going to use it... IMHO its worth it!

I have a little P&S that I keep in my purse... for on the fly too. I spent $300 on it and I hate the pics I get with it. I mean its better than nothing... but I would never use it for 'important' photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
I love Ken Rockwell, he has tons of tutorials on cameras even iPhone apps! He recommends this camera is you have less than $700 to spend. (You can get it now for $500 or less at Target.)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Here is one review on it, since you are worried about weight:

The D40 is Weightless!
The first thing I noticed, and so did my non-photographer wife, is that it's so light. We thought it would be much heavier, but no! It must be made of air. It's like not having a camera with you at all.
The light weight makes it a dream to carry around all day. Having a camera with you instead of left in the car or at home is the difference between getting a great shot or missing it.
My D40 lets me get make great results hand-held at slow speeds, probably because it also has very, very little shutter and mirror vibration.

End of Ken's Review!

My Review:

I have this camera and LOVE IT!
I lug it around everywhere.

On a side note you can rent a camera body and lens online for pretty cheap for a couple weeks and take that with you! I use rentglass.com for my lenses and they are great.
Thanks for your thoughts. That page was very helpful Leslie. I went and looked at a few things at best buy this weekend. I am definately leaning towards the SLR, now to just decide on which one. I also saw the much talked about Olympus Pen 1. It is very small and cool, not sure how the camera rates so I will have to go check some of those reviews too.

You are right Paula, I just get more and more frustrated with the point and shoots and just want better pictures of my kids and Disney! My husband finally conceeded that as a scrapbooker I will carry the camera everywhere I just need to get used to carrying an extra bag for it. His friends were telling him that I would only use it for events and not carry it everywhere. Plus I sitll have my point and shoot to carry in my purse, despite the poor pics it takes.
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Magical Express Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Another question for you guys..what is a UV filter for and do I need one?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Just wanted to let you guys know I finally made a camera purchase. After much deliberation I decided to listen to my BIL's advice, since the 3 cameras I narrowed down too were so similar, and go by how they "feel" to me. I had to travel a bit to find one of the models I was looking at, but the trip was worth it. I went with a Pentax K-X. The image quality was great, it felt perfect in my hand, it was very light and small, and I found the menus were the easiest to navigate. My husband said he knew it was the right one for me, because my face lit up when I picked it up. Of course the real kicker is that it comes in many colors and I ordered it from Amazon in purple ($100 cheaper there than the camera shop and in purple!!!!). Thanks for your help.