MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Poohs100AcreWood
Looking for pirates and ghosts in New Orleans Square

Software: Photoshop CS5
Camera: Sony NEX-5N
Shopping for a P&S camera

Hello, everyone!

I am hoping someone can give me some recommendations on a new P&S camera.

I am at Disneyland constantly and always take pictures, but I have a DSLR that I take with me. In Sept, I am going to WDW for the first time and want something smaller. I know I will be sacrificing picture quality, but I can't bring myself to lug around my big camera + lens for 9 days in the heat.

I haven't owned a regular P&S in years, so I am looking for suggestions. I need something with at least a 6-7x zoom, can take fairly good night shots, and is compact. I don't want the DSLR lookalikes because they are too bulky. I have been looking at the Nikon Coolpix S6300. Anyone have this camera? I don't want to spend any more than $150-$200.

Thanks for any help!

Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe

Poohs100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Robin K
Just parked the car

I have a Canon Powershot sx 130 which I love! The only issue I have with it is the lack of battery life. Now I haven't tried rechargeables and I heard they are better. I think this camera takes good photos...it has several different settings for different things..action, fireworks, snow, flowers, pets etc.
I am not sure what the price was for it because mine was a Christmas gift. But, I think they are around $160-180.
Good luck in finding a good camera!

Robin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
meejay
Stopping for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Software: PSCS 5.5
Camera: iPhone 4s, Canon Powershot SX230, Nikon D5000
I also have a Canon Powershot, the SX230 HS. I got it for Christmas and I LOVE IT! It has a 14x optical zoom and the very, very best part? You can shoot on Manual too if you want. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a viewfinder (it's an LCD screen only) but it is awesome. Here's a link:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...rshot_sx230_hs

Now Planning for Fall 2015 - back to Caribbean Beach!
Minnie\'s Bow Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar United States of America Earful Tower 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #1 Teacups 2011 Special Edition pin #6 2011 Special Edition pin #5 I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Carousel horse

meejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
cassidyk
Taking the Studio Backlot Tour

Software: SBC+ 3.0
Another Canon Powershot lover here! I have an older model ( Powershot Elph 880IS I believe) that I have been really pleased with. Although I would not describe it as exceptionally strong in low light.

I have been reading some really great reviews on the Powershot S100 so that might be one to consider, although I believe it is a little above the price range you mentioned.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!
It\'s a Small World United States of America Mouse Ears Carousel horse Angel Limited Edition Amazon pin #6 Jungle Cruise Boardwalk 1 Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Monorail Magical Express I love DCL! Skyway Earful Tower Minnie\'s Bow Thanks for being an outstanding contributor to the site Kathryn! 2011 Special Edition pin #7 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Great Britain Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s shorts Captain EO Teacups Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Rocket Jets Beast

cassidyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
roxana
Checking out, and taking Magical Express back to MCO

Software: CS5
Camera: Canon
I also need to buy another P&S, my old Canon is making strange noises lately, has someone tried the Panasonics? I would love one with a really good zoom, I recall seeing some concert pics with a Panasonic P&S and they were amazing! Could it be the FZ line?

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Speed Scrapper! Sorcerer\'s Hat Jungle Cruise Peru Monorail Maracas Carousel horse Pirate Ears Teacups Pop Century Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Thanks for being so helpful to others Roxana! Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag Viking Ship Pirate Dog Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Mickey\'s glove Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

roxana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Poohs100AcreWood
Looking for pirates and ghosts in New Orleans Square

Software: Photoshop CS5
Camera: Sony NEX-5N
I have literally googled each of these suggestions and they all look amazing. I think I need to hit a Best Buy this weekend and play around with some of them. That's how I ended up with my DSLR, by trying it out, and I think this one will be the same. Thanks everyone!

Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe

Poohs100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 12
Camera: Pentax k-x
I need a new p&s too. My daughter broke ours this past weekend, because someone at my house thought it would be a great idea to let her play with it at my son's birthday party. I was so bummed, since I like my husband to have the p&s to take his photos at WDW and we are going in Sunday. Good thing he has a great friend willing to let us borrow his for the week. I will have to get a new one after our trip!
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

liriel is offline   Reply With Quote