MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Design Challenges
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
frogfish
Taking the Monorail to EPCOT

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Lumix
Thanks to everyone who completed the DC2 participant survey already!

Here is a summary of the results and suggestions along with how I plan to address them. Sorry it's such a long post...

1) Length of challenge. The results came back almost 50%-50% for 1 and 2 month challenge time frames. Since a 1 month time frame came out a bit on top, we will stick with the 1 month challenge for now but may reevaluate after seeing some feedback for the May/June challenge. With a 2 month challenge we may get more participants--people who just don't have time to get it done in a month. Personally, I haven't scrapped a single page since these design challenges started in April .

2) Color Swatch/Theme. Most people like just a color swatch, but there were enough responses asking for just a theme or color swatch and theme that over the next couple challenges we'll give them a try. I would like to keep most of the challenges color swatch challenges (since that is what the majority voted for), but maybe we can add the theme requirement 1 or 2 times a year. I think the first month with a theme will be July.

3) QC issues. Since this is supposed to be a fun challenge and most of the participants are not designers (yet), along with the fact that a formal QC on so many submissions takes so long, any QC that is done will be informal. That being said, QC is important so I have written up some how to's and things to look for with regard to QC here. Please look over that thread and thoroughly examine your submissions before sending them to me. Several people expressed an interest in getting feedback on their items so they can learn from the experience. If you would like feedback on the quality or content of your submission, let me know. Unfortunately, since there is very little turnaround time in the challenge you wouldn't have the opportunity to fix the problems with your submission before the reveal or would have to submit early to allow both time to check for and fix problems. The information could still be beneficial even if you get it after the reveal; use the feedback from the previous month's challenge as you create for the current one.

4) Perks/resources only available to the current DC participants. Lots of people would like to see tutorials, but I agree with many of the comments that stated the tutorials offered should be available to everyone on MS (to hopefully encourage more participants). The big winner though was a monthly focus element/technique. I would like to see this feature encourage tutorials. For example: if the monthly focus element is string, and you know how to create digital string, please write up a short tutorial in the existing DC tutorial thread so we can benefit from your expertise (styles, textures, other settings to make it look realistic). Also if you have seen a tutorial online, post a link. Anyone can buy CU string, but I think this feature could help us grow as designers by making us less reliant on CU resources. Other people said that a pin for your signature indicating your participation in DC challenges would be fun, and I agree! Since we can only add 30 or so virtual pins to our signatures and I don't want to make more work for Carol, I think they would need to be things that are distributed as little jpg files for you to add to your personal signature (name) if you want to--like the medals for the SS marathons. I have a couple ideas for what we could do but honestly don't have the time to make them reality. If anyone would like to help me with this part, please let me know.

5) Submission process. I think everyone agrees that 4shared is terrible... I looked at other file sharing sites and was disappointed with the fact that you can't upload everything to a folder and distribute the folder link (as I did with 4shared). I know there has to be a better way... There was a suggestion that we get the kit from the MS store with a coupon code, and I'm sure that would work, but we wouldn't be able to get the kit until the release date (because of the lack of turnaround time); I like the fact that we get it early. I would LOVE to streamline the submission process, especially on my end since there is so much time wasted in the transfer from participant to me, to the shared folder. Unfortunately, I don't think the idea I posted in the survey will work because I have to be 100% sure that there are no copyright violations. That is too serious of an issue (for MS, legally) for us to be on our honor. We'll do it the same as the other two challenges for now but I'm open to new suggestions and/or ways to make the other suggestions work for us.

6) Element minimum/maximum. Everyone is happy with the minimum, but lots of you want the maximum bumped up. I don't think an open end maximum is a good idea because I want all of the participants to have approximately equal representation in the kit. If one person creates a mega kit with 100 items on their own, everyone else's minis will pale in comparison; I don't want anyone to feel inferior because they don't have the time or experience to make a huge kit each month. Let's make the minimum and maximum for next month as follows:
Any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement but is also encouraged as part of each mini kit submission (if part of a mini kit, an alpha would count as one item).
That being said, I think everyone should strive to create a mini kit as their submission. If you aren't ready to do that yet, it's OK and you can still participate; it just gives you something to aim for as you get more comfortable designing.
There isn't a submission size requirement with regard to mb, and I don't see that being something we bring back, so no worries there!

7) & 8) Blog Hop. I'm so glad that you are all seeing downloads of your freebies. I didn't have time to visit any of your blogs after DC2 and am sad I didn't get the freebies as I'm sure they were all awesome! It is upsetting though that you aren't seeing comments/thank yous for them. I know I'm not perfect and I don't always leave comments when I download from blogs, but I ALWAYS leave love for my fellow MouseScrappers! I think of all of you as extended family!

Other things mentioned in the comment section.
  • Since this isn't quite so new anymore and there haven't been a ton of questions regarding the DC, I am going to put all of the comments, questions, and kit signups in one thread. That will leave the kit thread empty (and locked) so I can be sure the final kit reveal and individual previews gets the space and attention they deserve!
  • If you have any questions about copyright, please let me know. It can be a fine line but I can help you determine how close is too close.
  • As I said before, everything is trial and error with this challenge. We may have to change the time frame and may come up with a better QC solution, only time will tell!
  • I appreciate all of the kind words and offers for help with the challenge and I will keep all of you in mind if something comes up!
  • Thank you all so much for participating in the challenges; I am amazed every month by the talent you have!

frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links