MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Let's talk about Scrapbooking > Printing books/pages
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest

Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
myworldisjam
Going thru the Disneyland turnstiles

Apparently the directions I was given was incorrect. I received my book and it was dark. So I contacted Shutterfly and told them my book was dark and maybe I wasn't given the right steps. Which was true. They just updated the system to turn off the Vivipics (they didn't have it the time I ordered mine).
So here are the new steps:

To do this…
- In My Photos, click on Settings (at the top on the left hand side)
- Under the Account tab, click on Image Preferences
- Then change the VividPics setting there
o VividPics is currently ON by default. Turn it off.

I will have another book to order soon. Hopefully I don't run into the same problem otherwise I will be looking for another place to print my books.

myworldisjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
scraptraci
Randomly selected to dine in Club 33!

Software: pse
Camera: panasonic lumix, cannon rebel
book creation questions

hi, i have never made my own pages and uploaded to shutterfly before-i've always just used their layouts and modified myself as needed. i'm going to try to make a photobook for my parents with trip photos that i would like to use my own files for elements/papers etc. i have read through this thread and shutterfly's info but wanted to double check

i am hoping to make it for a christmas gift so i want to make sure i do it right from the beginning- outside of the cover templates do i need to do anything special when creating my page in pse?

am i correct in assuming i just create a 12x12 page and save it down as a jpg at the 10 quality and 300 dpi and then upload them as a photo into the custom path? then i drag and drop them from the filmstrip into the pages in the order i want?

then i create the pieces for the covers as per the specs provided on shutterfly using the templates i downloaded? i just drag and drop those from the filmstrip once i have uploaded them?

is this the correct or am i missing something?

thanks
traci

Baymax Sven Perry Test Track

scraptraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Quote:
Originally Posted by myworldisjam View Post
Apparently the directions I was given was incorrect. I received my book and it was dark. So I contacted Shutterfly and told them my book was dark and maybe I wasn't given the right steps. Which was true. They just updated the system to turn off the Vivipics (they didn't have it the time I ordered mine).
So here are the new steps:

To do this…
- In My Photos, click on Settings (at the top on the left hand side)
- Under the Account tab, click on Image Preferences
- Then change the VividPics setting there
o VividPics is currently ON by default. Turn it off.

I will have another book to order soon. Hopefully I don't run into the same problem otherwise I will be looking for another place to print my books.
oh no! Did the reprints look better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraptraci View Post
hi, i have never made my own pages and uploaded to shutterfly before-i've always just used their layouts and modified myself as needed. i'm going to try to make a photobook for my parents with trip photos that i would like to use my own files for elements/papers etc. i have read through this thread and shutterfly's info but wanted to double check

i am hoping to make it for a christmas gift so i want to make sure i do it right from the beginning- outside of the cover templates do i need to do anything special when creating my page in pse?

am i correct in assuming i just create a 12x12 page and save it down as a jpg at the 10 quality and 300 dpi and then upload them as a photo into the custom path? then i drag and drop them from the filmstrip into the pages in the order i want?

then i create the pieces for the covers as per the specs provided on shutterfly using the templates i downloaded? i just drag and drop those from the filmstrip once i have uploaded them?

is this the correct or am i missing something?

thanks
traci
I think that sounds right. You will lose a little to bleed. Cynthia has a template (I don't recall where I saw it last) to help design your page with the bleed in mind, but it would be a hassle to go back and redo all your pages

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #24
scraptraci

I think that sounds right. You will lose a little to bleed. Cynthia has a template (I don't recall where I saw it last) to help design your page with the bleed in mind, but it would be a hassle to go back and redo all your pages [/QUOTE]

i actually haven't started so i will double check the links at the beginning of the thread to make sure i don't waste effort

thank you

Old 12-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #25
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraptraci View Post
I think that sounds right. You will lose a little to bleed. Cynthia has a template (I don't recall where I saw it last) to help design your page with the bleed in mind, but it would be a hassle to go back and redo all your pages
i actually haven't started so i will double check the links at the beginning of the thread to make sure i don't waste effort

thank you[/QUOTE]

Are you in the Facebook 'project' group? I noticed some templates in the files section that might be the right ones https://www.facebook.com/groups/458026904345024/

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #26
CynthiaY2
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 9
Camera: Nikon D300s
I just went through and updated a few of the links on my first post. Some where outdated and the inspirational galleries are no longer available which I miss the most!!

It sounds like you have a good handle on it. If you use the layflat book style (Which I absolutely LOVE) the inside bleed and photo's that would normally be in or near the center binding no longer matter. I've started using double page layouts now with the layflat feature. I would definitely leave a slight bleed around your page.

The cover templates are an absolutely must to use! If you don't it will take you hours trying to line it up correctly and making corrects and re uploading over and over again.

When I start a new book I use the "Custom Path" and then I select "Portfolio" then "Digiscrap" to drag and drop my uploaded layouts into. If it's a double page layout then make sure you save it as a double page and select the double page layout page style if you want the layflat for that particular 2 page layout. You can of course still do the lay flat and have 2 totally different layouts on each side of the page and it will still look terrific.

https://www.shutterfly.com/custom-pa...%20Top%20Picks

I hope that helps.

DVC Member 2008! Annual Passholder
I'm a Disney fan who loves inspiring and helping others experience the magic of Disney
Check out my Blog. Cynthia...Forever Young
Independent Travel Agent - Go See Mickey
I link to MouseScrappers! Disney Vacation Club Member Thanks for the great photography tips Cynthia! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member I love DCL! Sorcerer\'s Hat Canada United States of America Star Tours Contemporary Resort 2 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #5 2011 Special Edition pin #2 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Kermit 1 DCL Mickey Parts Big Eyes Goofy Minnie Cupcake Ive met another MouseScrapper

CynthiaY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
scraptraci

thank you so much for the help i'm assuming i can take care of the bleed by just framing the page with a background paper and then put the major part of the page inside a smaller "page" right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaY2 View Post
I just went through and updated a few of the links on my first post. Some where outdated and the inspirational galleries are no longer available which I miss the most!!

It sounds like you have a good handle on it. If you use the layflat book style (Which I absolutely LOVE) the inside bleed and photo's that would normally be in or near the center binding no longer matter. I've started using double page layouts now with the layflat feature. I would definitely leave a slight bleed around your page.

The cover templates are an absolutely must to use! If you don't it will take you hours trying to line it up correctly and making corrects and re uploading over and over again.

When I start a new book I use the "Custom Path" and then I select "Portfolio" then "Digiscrap" to drag and drop my uploaded layouts into. If it's a double page layout then make sure you save it as a double page and select the double page layout page style if you want the layflat for that particular 2 page layout. You can of course still do the lay flat and have 2 totally different layouts on each side of the page and it will still look terrific.

https://www.shutterfly.com/custom-pa...%20Top%20Picks

I hope that helps.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #28
CynthiaY2
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 9
Camera: Nikon D300s
Actually when I create I just create the whole page but know that if I place anything near the edges that it could be cut off. No need to put a background paper as a frame around. Just know that a small slice of the background and any elements near the edges might be cut off slightly in final printing.

DVC Member 2008! Annual Passholder
I'm a Disney fan who loves inspiring and helping others experience the magic of Disney
Check out my Blog. Cynthia...Forever Young
Independent Travel Agent - Go See Mickey
I link to MouseScrappers! Disney Vacation Club Member Thanks for the great photography tips Cynthia! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member I love DCL! Sorcerer\'s Hat Canada United States of America Star Tours Contemporary Resort 2 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #5 2011 Special Edition pin #2 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Kermit 1 DCL Mickey Parts Big Eyes Goofy Minnie Cupcake Ive met another MouseScrapper

CynthiaY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #29
familyhistoryscrapper
Just parked the car

I do the same as the other posters above. I print my albums to Shutterfly all the time. I don't use any specific templates for the main pages, but I do try and avoid putting things too close to the edge of the page as I know some things might get cut off. I've had it happen a few times, but not often.

I do have a nice template for the cover and what I usually do is make my 12 x 12 page and then pull it onto the template and just add an extra piece of matching background paper. This helps the cover to fit better and not have a ton of stuff cut off.

familyhistoryscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #30
pokelle
Cooling off in Critter Country

Shutterfly book

Thank you so much for all the info/links you posted regarding printing a Shutterfly book. It was so helpful. I have a few questions for you:

1. When you go to print, do you sharpen your pictures using "Unsharp Mask" in Photoshop and also brighten them just a little bit. A photographer had once said to do that with normal prints, so I was wondering if you should do that when printing pages in a book, too.

2. Do you choose standard layflat pages or deluxe? Not sure what the difference is between the two.

3. Finally, what type of cover do you usually choose?

So sorry for all the questions. This is my first time to print the pages in a book. I usually just order the prints as 12 x 12 and put them in a traditional scrapbook.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Paige

pokelle is offline   Reply With Quote