MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Tutorials
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
nadauh
Trekking along the Maharajah trail

Software: Photoshop CS4, PSP and Vizros plugin
Camera: Canon
How to make a cut out!

I’m hosting the weekly challenge this week over at Mousescrappers and i’m asking for a cut out so I thought let’s make a tutorial for that ( It's for ps, if anyone has questions about another program please ask here and maybe someone can help you!)!

I Love this technique so much!!! It gives that little extra to your layout so that it becomes absolutly amazing! I splitted the tutorial in to three parts: Cut out elements, cut out with the marquee tool and cut out with shapes.

Elements: (This methode also works great with text!)

Place your papers and the element that you want to cut out in a new file. Ctrl+click on the tumbnail of the element to select it:

Select the top paper and click delete:

Deselect, delete the element (if you don’t want to use it anymore) and add shadow:

Marquee tool:

Place two papers in a new file. Select the Marquee tool you wish to use, make the selection on the top paper and press delete:

Deselect and add shadows:

Shapes:

Place two papers in a new file and select the shape tool of your choice:

Place the shape (the same way as a selection) and go to the tab paths:

Right click on Shape 1 vector mask, then click on “make a selection”:

Click on OK:

Return to the tab layers, select the top paper and click the delete button:

Deselect , delete the shape and add shadows.

To make it clear I made the cut out in the tutorial first. Sometimes it’s better to make your page first and then make the cut outs.

If there’s anything that’s not clear or if you have questions please let me know!!! Have fun and experiment away!!!! Hope to see you at the weekly challenge!!!!

Last edited by nadauh; 06-08-2011 at 05:49 AM.

nadauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
meejay
Stopping for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Software: PSCS 5.5
Camera: iPhone 4s, Canon Powershot SX230, Nikon D5000
Thanks for a great tutorial. I've wondered how to do that!!

Now Planning for Fall 2015 - back to Caribbean Beach!
Minnie\'s Bow Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar United States of America Earful Tower 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #1 Teacups 2011 Special Edition pin #6 2011 Special Edition pin #5 I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Carousel horse

meejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
PrincessMouse
In the Hall of Presidents

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Nikon D3
ooo, thanks!!
Disney Vacation Club Member Contemporary Resort 1 Magical Express Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts China Monorail I love DCL! Minnie\'s Bow I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Flag It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Skyway Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat United States of America Mickey Pumpkin

PrincessMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE10
Camera: Nikon D40
Thanks Patty....
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

tiggernjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6~PSE10~SBC
Camera: Nikon D3300
This is awesome Patty, Thank you for posting this!
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

WDW Scrap Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
yappy52
In Town Square, envisioning Walt giving his speech

Software: Creative Memories SBC 3.0
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 5700
Can anyone tell me if this can be done in SBC plus?

yappy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
nadauh

I really don't know that. All I know is that what the important thing in ps is, is selecting, with the marching ants. Once you've done that, I think you can go to the layer beneath (the paper layer) and hit the delete button. Maybe this will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappy52 View Post
Can anyone tell me if this can be done in SBC plus?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Bev Cavera
Watching fireworks burst over Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Software: PSE 8
Camera: Cannon Rebel T1i
HELP!!! The Cut out is not working!!!

I am using PSE 8 and I cannot get this cut to work. ..I have highlighted the bottom paper , Ctrl click on the element & then deselect the middle or top paper to be used for the cut out... I just delete the top paper no cut out happens... I have tried this many times... any ideas what or how to use this with PSE 8 Thanks Bev
Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! Disney Vacation Club Member Magical Express Contemporary Resort 1 Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 2 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Star Tours Minnie\'s Shoe Jungle Cruise Rocket Jets Captain EO Italy France Sorcerers Hat Pumpkin King Gingerbread Mickey Bar It\'s a Small World

Bev Cavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
nadauh

For the SBC users here's a tutorial to make cut-outs with that program!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
Yep.... they are very easy in SBC!
this is the simplest way... to make a basic (non-custom) shape cutout!

If you want a basic shape, select your paper layer that you want to make the cut out in .

The go to the cut and fill ribbon... select square/circle or the 'shape' button.

Cut out your shape

Then select the paper with the shape cut out... and go to format, and add a shadow to the paper.

ta-da!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
nadauh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev Cavera View Post
I am using PSE 8 and I cannot get this cut to work. ..I have highlighted the bottom paper , Ctrl click on the element & then deselect the middle or top paper to be used for the cut out... I just delete the top paper no cut out happens... I have tried this many times... any ideas what or how to use this with PSE 8 Thanks Bev
Do you get the marching ants when you ctrl + click on the tumbnail of the element? If not, this is the tumbnail you have to ctrl + click on:

When you got the marching ants, select the paper underneath (without ctrl + clicking) and then hit delete. Next you can click on the eye (in front of the tumbnail) of the element to hide it, so that you can see if it worked.

Please let me now if it worked!