MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
ILuvCrush
Having dinner at Ohana

Software: SBC+3.0
Camera: Sony Alpha-550 DSLR
Indoor/low light shots... how can I improve?

Thanks so much for the tips SEI!!

I'm going to go check out your blog!!

One thing that has been making me crazy lately.... is my indoor shots.
I got a new camera (Sony alpha-550)

My outdoor shots are amazing.
my indoor ones stink.

My focusing is not cooperating... I seem to get alot of blur inside, even at the same ranges. I hate to use the camera flash.... but i'm having trouble getting my indoor shots to even focus without using it.

I'm not a newbie... I never had these issues with my alpha-100. I thought it was an issue with the new lens... but even using my old lenses on the same camera... its not working. I can use the same settings f/stop shutter iso etc with both cameras... but get better results with my A100

What do you think??? Any tricks I can try?? Or do you think its just a poor operator
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Mouse Ears Monorail Eiffel Tower Mickeys shoe I link to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Contemporary Resort 2 Magical Express Star Tours Expedition Everest Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow D23 Member Captain EO Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pirate Flag Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Turkey Christmas Tree Cheshire Cat 1 Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Paula! France Italy United Kingdom Morocco Canada Germany

ILuvCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
SensoryEscapeImages
Just parked the car

Camera: Canon 7D
@ILuvCrush

What shooting mode are you using? Also, if using a manual shooting mode, is your ISO set to auto or do you have it set manually?

So, without knowing more or being able to test the two side-by side, here's what I'd be thinking about:

1) Are you using the same lens on both cameras when getting these different results? Sometimes kit lenses (lenses that come with the camera body) can be less than reliable and slow focusing. Not being able to get a good focus in low light can be partly due to lens speed and quality. It can also be due to very low light. Try focusing on an object that has high contrast.

2) Getting blurred shots...did your A100 have an auto ISO feature? My guess would be that the ISO floated a bit to allow for less camera shake while that may not be a feature of the A550. I would start with putting both in manual (M) shooting mode, then setting the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to a fixed setting. Then use the same lens for each and use a tripod. Shoot the same thing. Then remove the tripod to see if the same problem remains. Also, you might just need to increase your ISO more in low light to get a shutter speed that long enough to hand hold the camera without getting a blurry image.

It's hard to give a spot-on answer to this without knowing more but hopefully this at least points you in the right direction.
Facebook

SensoryEscapeImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
ILuvCrush
Having dinner at Ohana

Software: SBC+3.0
Camera: Sony Alpha-550 DSLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensoryEscapeImages View Post
@ILuvCrush

What shooting mode are you using? Also, if using a manual shooting mode, is your ISO set to auto or do you have it set manually?

So, without knowing more or being able to test the two side-by side, here's what I'd be thinking about:

1) Are you using the same lens on both cameras when getting these different results? Sometimes kit lenses (lenses that come with the camera body) can be less than reliable and slow focusing. Not being able to get a good focus in low light can be partly due to lens speed and quality. It can also be due to very low light. Try focusing on an object that has high contrast.

2) Getting blurred shots...did your A100 have an auto ISO feature? My guess would be that the ISO floated a bit to allow for less camera shake while that may not be a feature of the A550. I would start with putting both in manual (M) shooting mode, then setting the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to a fixed setting. Then use the same lens for each and use a tripod. Shoot the same thing. Then remove the tripod to see if the same problem remains. Also, you might just need to increase your ISO more in low light to get a shutter speed that long enough to hand hold the camera without getting a blurry image.

It's hard to give a spot-on answer to this without knowing more but hopefully this at least points you in the right direction.
I'm going to try that....and see what happens. I have gotten the difference using the same lens on both cameras. I actually thought it was my new lens causing the problem.... I got the A550 body and a seperate f/3.5 18-200mm telephoto lens. But I'm noticing the difference with the kit lens from the A100... and even my f/1.8 50mm fixed lens. Auto or manual... same issue.

I'm off this weekend. I'll try the tests you suggested... and see what happens!! I hope I can figure it out. I'm guessing I have something set squirrley on the A550.... I just can't figure out what lol!

Thanks so much for your input!
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Mouse Ears Monorail Eiffel Tower Mickeys shoe I link to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Contemporary Resort 2 Magical Express Star Tours Expedition Everest Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow D23 Member Captain EO Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pirate Flag Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Turkey Christmas Tree Cheshire Cat 1 Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Paula! France Italy United Kingdom Morocco Canada Germany

ILuvCrush is offline   Reply With Quote