MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
SensoryEscapeImages
Just parked the car

Camera: Canon 7D
Photography Learning Series - F/8 And Be There!

F/8 And Be There!

As a photographer, if you haven't heard this phrase used by another photographer yet, you will. It's not new...it's actually been around for quite some time in photojournalism. This famous phrase serves as a great start to the series I'm writing on http://www.sensoryescapeimages.com/b...rp-photos.html

This article answers the question, "Is there a particular aperture setting that offers more sharpness than others? The answer: YES!

While it differs from lens to lens, it is generally accepted that apertures f/8 and f/11 are the sharpest apertures on the lens. That's right...there are camera settings that provide better sharpness, all other things being equal. What needs to be stated here is that upgrading one's gear is not necessarily the answer to getting better shots while learning to use one's camera more thoroughly definitely is.

To demonstrate this, I left my apartment and photographed the first thing I could find, a flower. It's not a very interesting photo but should prove the point. I shot it three times at these f-stops: f/4, f/8, and f/22. Here's the image:

The red circle in the center of the image indicates what I was focusing on.

I've blown up the three images to 100% to see how sharp there are.

f/4

f/8

f/22

The f/4 and f/8 are pretty close but the f/8 is still a tad bit sharper. You'll also notice some purple blur near the top of the flower in the f/4 version. The image shot at f/22 is the least sharp by far.

When I shoot studio images, I generally shoot at f/8 with a shutter speed of 1/250 and an ISO of 100. With the use of off-camera flash, these settings provide me with absolutely the sharpest images and I'm able to do so with a hand-held camera...no tripod.

To test for yourself which apertures are sharpest on your own lenses, simply set your camera on a tripod and shoot the same image at each aperture. Then open the images in Photoshop and amplify each of them to 100% or more until you see a noticeable difference between them.

What does 'F/8 and Be There' mean?

F/8 generally provides a great starting place for photographers learning how to use manual settings on their cameras and exploring various apertures.

Why f/8?

F/8 offers a great middle of the road depth of field focus. This means that photographers can get a nice balance of focus at all depths in their composition while not losing much in one of two tradeoffs (1) Slowing shutter speeds too far risking unintentional motion blur and/or (2) increasing the ISO and thereby the image noise as well. 'F/8 and Be There' means a kept aperture setting of f/8 and being ready for any shot is where photojournalists tend to feel a sense of reliability.

Try it out and see for yourself. I'll be covering other tips at various other aperture settings in future articles in this set on http://www.sensoryescapeimages.com/b...rp-photos.html

For other tips, visit the Sensory Escape Images Blog
Facebook
Twitter

SensoryEscapeImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
luv2scrapmm
E Ticket Holder

Software: Craft Artist
Camera: Canon Powershot SX10IS & learning to use my new Nikon D3100
I loved this! Thanks for writing tips for those of us who want to learn more about photography. Looking forward to more of your entries! Now I'm off to check out your blog.

PS Your pix are amazing!!
Pirate Ears Speed Scrapper! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest I love DCL! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Haunted Mansion Sorcerers Hat Panda Beast Redfan R2-D2 Boo Toy Story Alien Gingerbread Italy Pigglet 1 Great Britain Morocco Big Eyes Goofy Mickey Bar Pooh Big Eyes Mike Wazowski Norway Cutester Minnie Kermit 1 France Test Track Pumpkin Mickey Germany

luv2scrapmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
gillscott
Taking a Journey Into Imagination

thank you so much
Minnie\'s Shoe United Kingdom Teacups Monorail Minnie\'s Bow Sorcerer\'s Hat Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Magical Express Star Tours Carousel horse Pop Century Pirate Flag Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Eiffel Tower Cutester Bee Kermit 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Big Eyes Goofy Canada Cutester Minnie Herbie

gillscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
tukogirl

awesome! I'm going to go play with this tomorrow night! thanks for the tips, looking forward to more!

Thanks for being so nice to others Andrea! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) It\'s a Small World Teacups Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Speed Scrapper! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Carol helped me book my vacation! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Magical Express Expedition Everest 2011 Special Edition pin #1 2011 Special Edition pin #4 2011 Special Edition pin #2 D23 Member Norway Sulley Big Eyes Minnie I love DCL! Pop Century Big Thunder Cozy Cone Motel Kilimanjaro Safaris Ive met another MouseScrapper Dale Perry

tukogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
SensoryEscapeImages
Just parked the car

@luv2scrapmm - you bet...thank you for the feedback!

@gillscott - no problem...happy to

Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
SensoryEscapeImages
Just parked the car

@tukogirl - awesome...let me know how it goes

Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 12
Camera: Pentax k-x
Great article! Now I just need to get myself off of auto and figure out how to adjust settings manually... Though I have been playing with the priority modes to see how they are different when shooting the same thing...its a start right.
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
cmtscrap
E Ticket Holder

Software: Forever Artisan 6.0
Camera: Nikon D5000 and Nikon DX40
Send a message via Yahoo to cmtscrap
Thank you for the lessons!

I link to MouseScrappers! United States of America Speed Scrapper! Mouse Ears Monorail Magical Express Earful Tower Sorcerer\'s Hat Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Carol helped me book my vacation! Mickey\'s glove I love DCL! Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Charlene! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) D23 Member Minnie\'s Bow Pop Century 2011 Special Edition pin #2 2011 Special Edition pin #5 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #3 D Ticket Disney Vacation Club Member Ive met another MouseScrapper

cmtscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
SensoryEscapeImages
Just parked the car

@liriel Priority modes are a fantastic way to start shooting manually. I know several professional photogs that only shoot in Aperture Priority so good on ya!

@cmtscrap You bet!
Facebook

Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Enapolez
Having breakfast in Goofy's Kitchen

Software: PSE 8; Paint.net; GIMP
Camera: Nikon D90; D40
Thanks for the tip i tried this this past weekend and it was great. I can not wait for this weekend to try, I will be at WDW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/e12/5490575771/

Enapolez is offline   Reply With Quote