MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Let's talk about Scrapbooking > Organization
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest

Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE10
Camera: Nikon D40
Help organizing my kits

I need some help organizing my kits...What is the best way to do it??? It takes me forever when I am doing a SS to find the right papers and elements...
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

tiggernjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
roxana
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS5
Camera: Canon
Me too! I have everything by kit name and designer, and thatīs not always too much help, I can remember half of them, but weīre talking of 230 GB in kits, so as good as my memory can be itīs not enough!!!

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Speed Scrapper! Sorcerer\'s Hat Jungle Cruise Peru Monorail Maracas Carousel horse Pirate Ears Teacups Pop Century Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Thanks for being so helpful to others Roxana! Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag Viking Ship Pirate Dog Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Mickey\'s glove Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

roxana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 12
Camera: Pentax k-x
I also sort by designer and kit name. So I have a folder called Britt-ish Designs and then folders in that call Miss Kitty and Arabian Adventure for example. As far as searching files, I hear Organizer in PSE 8 is good because you can tag your files with keywords to make searching easier. I haven't gotten there yet, I am still figuring out how to make layouts in PSE 8.0.

As far as searching for stuff during a speed scrap, I go to my big folder called digital scrap files and open it, then I do CTL+F to open a find window and type in red paper for example and it finds me most of my red papers, type in template and it finds me most of my templates. It may not be the best way but it is helpful. It also helps me here at MS that I have a folder specifically for Disney designers and their stuff (even if its not disney I mostly associate them with disney stuff...like Britt-ish Designs and Natalie's Place Designs).

Hope that is helpful

Julie
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Magical Express Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
luv2scrapmm
E Ticket Holder

Software: Craft Artist
Camera: Canon Powershot SX10IS & learning to use my new Nikon D3100
I have a folder named 0preview (the zero makes sure it is the first folder in the list - lol). Right now I have certain designers that I have alot of stuff for so they have own folders, other stuff by where I got it scrapmatters, stufftoscrap, etc if they are freebies or an odd kit from their site. Most come with a preview picture and so I place a copy of that in the preview folder and add in its name where it is located. That way I just look through my preview folders to jog my memory. I have also started making my own preview sheet for additional items in the kit if there aren't in the designers preview or if it didn't have one. Does that make any sense??? I can then look through just that folder and find stuff. That was my project for this summer while I am on vacation. Once the school year comes forget it! Now that I have started, I add any new kit previews to that folder right away. I started trying to do things by color once for papers but then it was a pain to keep track of the designer for credit. Just got PSE8 so haven't tried to organize that way.

Ex. If I had a freebie kit from scrapmatters from designer x called happy day stored in the scrapmatters folder I would then name the preview "Happy Day by designer x in Scrapmatters". Might not be the easiest way but it works for me.
Pirate Ears Speed Scrapper! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest I love DCL! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Haunted Mansion Sorcerers Hat Panda Beast Redfan R2-D2 Boo Toy Story Alien Gingerbread Italy Pigglet 1 Great Britain Morocco Big Eyes Goofy Mickey Bar Pooh Big Eyes Mike Wazowski Norway Cutester Minnie Kermit 1 France Test Track Pumpkin Mickey Germany

luv2scrapmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Thanks for all the ideas how to organize my kits...I do have them by designer..Since I do use PSE8, I'll have to look into their organizer, but first I have to master using PSE8 first...
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
NikkiFB
Looking for pirates and ghosts in New Orleans Square

Software: PSE8.0
I think I'm in a minority on this, but I started organizing based on Ali Edwards' method, which is in files according to product type (she has a whole thing about this on her blog). SOMEtimes it is a hassle, but for the most part it works for me. I break up all kits (unless it is something I got for a specific reason--like, at the moment I am keeping a whole big birthday themed kit together until after I'm done w/ my kid's birthday party). I have a folder for papers (with subfolders by color), a folder for frames, one for stitches, one for ribbons (again by color), one for masks, one for buttons.... etc etc etc. (If you'd like my whole list of folders I'll be happy to share, but I'll spare you unless you want it! )

I am kinda a wild n' crazy scrapper though (I was this way w/ paper scrapping too!) and I like to pull from all different kits/designers. LOL

I use an iMac and PSE8.0----PSE for Mac doesn't have the organizer, so my folders are just regular Mac folders. I have a search screen so if I'm thinking of a particular item or designer I can generally find it. And if I do want to scrap from a single kit or designer, I can easily pull all the pieces that way.

I did get stuck for a bit on keeping track of crediting and TOUs, but what I've finally done is make sure that the file names of all the kit parts include the designer's/company's name or initials (they usually do anyway), AND make sure that the TOU has the same name/initials in its file name. Then if I'm ever stuck for what the initials stand for or what the designer's real name is, I can just find the matching TOU.

What I am TRYING to do, also, is be selective about what I keep---if I don't like an item in a kit when I download it, I am probably never going to like or use it, so I don't want to take up space with it. AND I try to keep a handle on my files---periodically I go through, say, my "blue" papers folder and try to get rid of papers that are practically identical. Gradually I find I'm letting go of lots of the freebies I picked up when I was just starting, and replacing them with more and more of my fave designers/stores (so it's getting much easier to remember what I have!).

NikkiFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
MJAJmom
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 7.0
Lyn, I have PSE7 and use the Organizer, it's so helpful when I need to find a frame or string or certain color paper.

For PSE Organizer, you'll need to create a bunch of 'tags'. These tags are how you'll organize everything. I have tags for alphas, paper, frames, stitches, templates, etc. Then subcategories under paper for each color. Then you have to manually tag each item (which takes forever the first time!!). After that, you just click on 'paper-purple' and you can see all your purple papers. It's pretty cool. But it does take a LOT of set up time.
Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow Sorcerer\'s Hat Mouse Ears Teacups Pirate Flag Monorail Carol helped me book my vacation! Magical Express Star Tours Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Rocket Jets United States of America Mickey Pumpkin

Last edited by MJAJmom; 09-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.

MJAJmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Thanks Linda,
One question about the organizer...How do you keep track of the designers for the credits??? I haven't gotten a chance to try it, but I guess I better start, since I keep on getting new kits...

Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
BevS97
Uh oh , I just looked into the eyes of Mara

I use picasa. I have everything stored by Disney/non-disney, and then designer, and I keep them in kits.

In picasa you can create 'albums', these don't actually move the items, it just lets you view things together. I have all the previews in an album so I can easily glance through them all. Then I have another album for templates, alphas, and word art. Those are the things I am most likely to use with a different kit, otherwise I tend to use a single kit for a layout.

I find most designers label their items quite well, so I don't tag all my ribbons because if I search picasa for ribbons they all pop up anyway.

BevS97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
r0binb
Stopping for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Software: PS CS5 & CS3
Camera: Sony Cybershot, Sony a55
I used to store everything in the kits as they came. I still mostly do, except for alphas. I found I never used alphas, or couldn't find them when they were still with their original kits. Now I have a filing system like this...
  • Scrapping Stuff
    • Alphas
    • Disney Inspired (this includes all kits, elements, templates, wordart, etc. that is specifically Disney inspired. Each kit/pack is in its own folder and I precede the folder name with what it. For example, alpha--Fanatic alpha by Britt-ish Designs, elements--Crayon Colored elements by Natalie's Place Designs, kit--After Dark by Sahlin Studio)
    • Elements (these are for purchases/freebies that were specifically these items. I do not break up kits to put individual items in these categories. each "pack" is in it's own folder.)
      • Attachments (ie. Attached at the Hip by Haynay Designs)
      • Bling
      • Buttons, Beads, Flair
      • Date Stamps
      • Doodles
      • Food
      • Frames, Borders
      • Journal Boxes
      • Nature
      • Ribbon, String, Stitches (ie. Stitched Swirls by Sahlin Studio, String Theory by Britt-ish Designs)
      • Scatters, Splats
    • Hybrid Projects
    • Kits
      • Misc Designers (all kits by designers that I just have one or 2 from. Each kit in its own folder)
      • Specific Designers (sub-folder for each designer that I have lots of kits from, with each kit from that designer in it's own folder)
    • Masks & Overlays
    • Paper Packs
    • Quick Pages
    • Templates - cards
    • Templates - pages
    • Word Art
After unzipping, I put everything together for the product in a single folder and name the folder according to the name of the product, including the designers name.
If I remember I'll use the Bridge application that came with CS4 suite, but mostly use that for photo searching when I scrap. I've created different collections to search for different items - templates, kit previews, alphas, etc.
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Speed Scrapper! Disney Vacation Club Member I love DCL! United States of America Magical Express Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Monorail Teacups Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Minnie Bride Captain EO Star Tours

Last edited by r0binb; 08-07-2010 at 03:14 PM.

r0binb is offline   Reply With Quote