MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Let's talk about Scrapbooking > Organization
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest

Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
WenRob
Arrived in Orlando, waiting for Magical Express

Software: Corel PSP X3
Camera: Nikon D90 & D700 (woo hoo!)
Pretty much this but I also have an Alpha folder, Elements Folder etc for those things aren't always in kits. I also have "Season" folders and within those the different holidays-celebrations-vacations. Of course I have a "Disney Scrap" folder as well. My Britt-ish Designs folder I have broken down into Alpha, Word Art, Elements, Templates, Regular Kits, Holiday kits, Disney kits. I hope to eventually do that with all the designers I use a lot. (Krista is next in line for her own folder, lol) I've gotten to know what I have in my stash over the years and clean out a couple of times a year so I get to where I just know where stuff is.
I do the search thing too but I never knew I could search a specific folder. DH showed me a long time ago and I knew I could search a certain hard drive but not that. So THANK YOU! You just made my life a whole lot easier especially when I'm whipping up a CT LO for Britt.
eta: Like Robin I also copy the Alpha from the kits to my Alpha folder. It's getting kind of out hand though so I'm thinking of breaking it down into types of alpha. I always have good intentions when in comes to organizing but I get caught up and end up scrapping, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liriel View Post
I also sort by designer and kit name. So I have a folder called Britt-ish Designs and then folders in that call Miss Kitty and Arabian Adventure for example. As far as searching files, I hear Organizer in PSE 8 is good because you can tag your files with keywords to make searching easier. I haven't gotten there yet, I am still figuring out how to make layouts in PSE 8.0.

As far as searching for stuff during a speed scrap, I go to my big folder called digital scrap files and open it, then I do CTL+F to open a find window and type in red paper for example and it finds me most of my red papers, type in template and it finds me most of my templates. It may not be the best way but it is helpful. It also helps me here at MS that I have a folder specifically for Disney designers and their stuff (even if its not disney I mostly associate them with disney stuff...like Britt-ish Designs and Natalie's Place Designs).

Hope that is helpful

Julie
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

Last edited by WenRob; 08-07-2010 at 04:20 PM.

WenRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
MJAJmom
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggernjen View Post
Thanks Linda,
One question about the organizer...How do you keep track of the designers for the credits??? I haven't gotten a chance to try it, but I guess I better start, since I keep on getting new kits...
I keep most everything that is in the kit, I may delete some duplicate kit images from multiple downloads or some internet link images. For credits, I'm usually always referring to the kit preview image for the name of the kit and the designer name.

Where I get into trouble is with some of the freebies that I've downloaded and held to unzip later. Sometimes they don't always put a freebie image in the download, or the file name is very generic, so you have no idea who it belongs to.
Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow Sorcerer\'s Hat Mouse Ears Teacups Pirate Flag Monorail Carol helped me book my vacation! Magical Express Star Tours Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Rocket Jets United States of America Mickey Pumpkin

MJAJmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
tiggernjen
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE10
Camera: Nikon D40
Wow!!! I never knew there were so many different ways to organize kits..Now I am overwhelmed, but I do need to get things in order... Thanks everyone for all your organizational tips, they are greatly appreciated...
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Disney Vacation Club Member I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Mouse Ears Boardwalk 1 Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Earful Tower Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Pirate Dog D23 Member Jungle Cruise Contemporary Resort 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #1 I love DCL! I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Lyn! Big Eyes Donald Mickey Parts Ive met another MouseScrapper Carol helped me book my vacation!

tiggernjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6~PSE10~SBC
Camera: Nikon D3300
I have mess with my kits, in the border of a breakdown, I too have 300GB worth of kits and all over spread out 3 external hardrives!

last thought I had was to divide them by parks

Animal Kingdom
Magic Kingdom
Epcot
HS

then the rest non Disney

but I am SO lost and So overwhelmed.

HOW DO I START?

Great thread TiggernJen!!!
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

WDW Scrap Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
WenRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Scrap Princess View Post
I have mess with my kits, in the border of a breakdown, I too have 300GB worth of kits and all over spread out 3 external hardrives!

last thought I had was to divide them by parks

Animal Kingdom
Magic Kingdom
Epcot
HS

then the rest non Disney

but I am SO lost and So overwhelmed.

HOW DO I START?

Great thread TiggernJen!!!
Well, slowly, I don't think anyone ever has it all organized all the time. It also depends on how far you want to break it down. Do you want a catch all folder for elements or do you want an elements folder with say a sparkles folder, a ribbon folder, a frame folder etc? For me personally, I'd never break down the kits but that's a personal choice. What I did was start making folders within my digi scrap folder. First I started off with all the kits, an elements folder and a frame folder. Eventually I started expanding the folders in the elements folder to the ones mentioned above. Then in the main kits folder I started making folders for seasons then after that I added holidays to those seasons. Now I will begin making folders for individual designers and most likely put shortcuts to their kits in the ones that are organized so that I can search by season/occasion or designer. Another personal choice is not using a tagging system, talk about overwhelming. For me a Windows search is just as easy because designers are scrappers too and they tend to label their stuff so it's easy to find. So I just select search and type in staple or whatever and it all pops up.
And clean out your stash! If I'm never gonna use it I'm never gonna use it. When I unzip a kit I clean house right away. I get rid of blinkies, links, pre-shadowed elements alpha sheets (if they're added to the regular alpha) symbols from other countries etc. It's up to you what you do or don't get rid of but the idea is to have it all tidy before you add it to your system.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
WenRob

oops-double post

Last edited by WenRob; 08-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenRob View Post
Well, slowly, I don't think anyone ever has it all organized all the time. It also depends on how far you want to break it down. Do you want a catch all folder for elements or do you want an elements folder with say a sparkles folder, a ribbon folder, a frame folder etc? For me personally, I'd never break down the kits but that's a personal choice. What I did was start making folders within my digi scrap folder. First I started off with all the kits, an elements folder and a frame folder. Eventually I started expanding the folders in the elements folder to the ones mentioned above. Then in the main kits folder I started making folders for seasons then after that I added holidays to those seasons. Now I will begin making folders for individual designers and most likely put shortcuts to their kits in the ones that are organized so that I can search by season/occasion or designer. Another personal choice is not using a tagging system, talk about overwhelming. For me a Windows search is just as easy because designers are scrappers too and they tend to label their stuff so it's easy to find. So I just select search and type in staple or whatever and it all pops up.
And clean out your stash! If I'm never gonna use it I'm never gonna use it. When I unzip a kit I clean house right away. I get rid of blinkies, links, pre-shadowed elements alpha sheets (if they're added to the regular alpha) symbols from other countries etc. It's up to you what you do or don't get rid of but the idea is to have it all tidy before you add it to your system.
Hope this helps somewhat.

I like this, thanks, by the way your Gallery has GORGEOUS Layouts!
I saw at least 3 that I want to scraplift!
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I use picasa. I have everything stored by Disney/non-disney, and then designer, and I keep them in kits.

In picasa you can create 'albums', these don't actually move the items, it just lets you view things together. I have all the previews in an album so I can easily glance through them all. Then I have another album for templates, alphas, and word art. Those are the things I am most likely to use with a different kit, otherwise I tend to use a single kit for a layout.

I find most designers label their items quite well, so I don't tag all my ribbons because if I search picasa for ribbons they all pop up anyway.

I Absolutely LOVE This! I think this is the way I want to go. Could you please take screen shot of your categories/folders, I think I want to duplicate. Thanks a lot! PM me if you need my email to send me the screen shots. thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
WenRob

Quote:
I like this, thanks, by the way your Gallery has GORGEOUS Layouts!
I saw at least 3 that I want to scraplift!
Aw, thanks...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
BevS97
Uh oh , I just looked into the eyes of Mara

Quote:
I Absolutely LOVE This! I think this is the way I want to go. Could you please take screen shot of your categories/folders, I think I want to duplicate. Thanks a lot! PM me if you need my email to send me the screen shots. thanks!
I'm not sure what you want to see exactly.

I have folders like this

001 Previews
002 Downloads (just for digi downloads)
003 Disney Kits
004 Other Kits
005 Digi Templates
006 Layouts
007 Blog Header stuff

I don't break it down into anything more than that, other than trying to keep it by designer in the other kits.
This is part of Britt-ish Designs folder

BevS97 is offline   Reply With Quote