MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Let's talk about Scrapbooking > Organization
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest

Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Organizing templates - here's an idea

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before!

For the last two years I've had a top level folder called "scrapbooking elements", and a bunch of subfolders, including one called "_templates". Then I have additional subfolders underneath _templates... one for each template or template pack. I've searched for templates by relying on the thumbnail image I see for each folder (Vista/Windows 7). This has worked with mild success - because I can never really see all the preview images - and it's hard to find a template with the right number of photos.

The 'duh' part:

Almost all of my template folders have a preview image (called 'folder' or 'preview' or something like that). Many of them have more than one of these. I just renamed one of the preview images in each folder using a naming convention. If the template has 3 photos, I renamed the preview to "3pix", if it has 8 photos, I renamed it to "8pix", etc. So I did that for most of my folders (need to go back and finish). So now, I want to find a template that has 5 photos, I just go to "_templates" and search for "5pix", and BAM, I see all the preview images of templates with 5 images. (note - I try not to rename "folder.jpg" if possible in case that is the one that shows at the higher level")

This should make my life easier and help me find templates I forgot I had. I hope it helps someone else...

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Last edited by Carolc; 02-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
snowdrop

Software: Photoshop CC
Camera: Canon & Sony
I do a variation of this. I have a templates folder, and folders for each template designer. I also have a "sorted" folder, and then a folder for each number up to 9, a 10+ one, and a double pager one. I copy over the preview image of each template into one of these folders. Of course I edit templates a lot, so if I want to do a 5 pic layout, and none of my 5 pic templates catch my eye, I'll then look in the 4 pic & 6 pic folders in case I can edit those to fix what I want. I'm a template addict.

See the over 290 characters I've met at WDW, DL, & DLP: I Love Characters

Disney digital scrapbook LOs: (40+ trips, 2007-2018)
Disney paper albums: 2007 (a work in progress!) / 2003-2007 day trips
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor to the site Heather! I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Captain EO Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Pooh Marie Cupcake Ive met another MouseScrapper I love DCL! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Eiffel Tower

snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
QuiltyMom
E Ticket Holder

Software: Creative Memories SBC+ 4.0
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ150
Hello. My name is Jan and I'm a template addict, too!

Since I use SBC+ and most templates have to be converted over from .pngs to .page files, I organize my templates in albums. I have kind of a crazy way, but it works for me. Here's what I currently do, but I think that I'm going to rework some of it.
  • If it is a designer that I have a lot of templates for, then that designer has a dedicated album.
  • If it is for a special project - like P365 - I have an album for it so I won't have to look around for them.
  • Then I have two other albums - one for templates of 3 or less photos (including photoless layouts) and one for 4 or more. But I may have to break this down further since those albums are getting huge and it's hard to find what I need. I may go with 1-2 photos, 2-3 photos, etc.
That's it.

Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I link to MouseScrappers! Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Jan! Mouse Ears Earful Tower Pirate Ears Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts Mickey\'s glove It\'s a Small World Eiffel Tower Monorail Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Teacups Viking Ship I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Skyway Carousel horse Pop Century Magical Express Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I love DCL! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Jungle Cruise Rocket Jets Ive met another MouseScrapper

QuiltyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
liriel
E Ticket Holder

Software: PSE 12
Camera: Pentax k-x
I think I need to sort my templates by photo number. It would make speed scraps go so much faster.
Mouse Ears Jungle Cruise Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Magical Express Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Bow Mickey Pumpkin Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Monorail United States of America Mickeys shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Julie! Mickey\'s shorts Contemporary Resort 1 Carousel horse Earful Tower Carol helped me book my vacation! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Stormtrooper Ive met another MouseScrapper

liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
scrappinnewbie
E Ticket Holder

Software: SBC+3.0
Camera: Cannon Rebel XTi
Well.... I haven't really gotten into templates... I think they would make my life much easier, but I haven't really played with them.... yet..... Now that Cindy's templates are SBC+ friendly, I have purchased them and am starting to play around with templates.

I have done a couple template challenges on our site, but don't seem to have enough time to do the weekly challenge and the template challenge.

I think sorting them by number of photos is a brillant idea!

Since I don't have very many, I am going to go that route.

Thanks for the plan.

Melinda
Mouse Ears United States of America Minnie\'s Shoe Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Melinda! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Teacups Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Panda Germany R2-D2 Pigglet 1 Carol helped me book my vacation! Big Thunder Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Ive met another MouseScrapper

scrappinnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
wendella247
I'm on the tram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolc View Post
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before!

For the last two years I've had a top level folder called "scrapbooking elements", and a bunch of subfolders, including one called "_templates". Then I have additional subfolders underneath _templates... one for each template or template pack. I've searched for templates by relying on the thumbnail image I see for each folder (Vista/Windows 7). This has worked with mild success - because I can never really see all the preview images - and it's hard to find a template with the right number of photos.

The 'duh' part:

Almost all of my template folders have a preview image (called 'folder' or 'preview' or something like that). Many of them have more than one of these. I just renamed one of the preview images in each folder using a naming convention. If the template has 3 photos, I renamed the preview to "3pix", if it has 8 photos, I renamed it to "8pix", etc. So I did that for most of my folders (need to go back and finish). So now, I want to find a template that has 5 photos, I just go to "_templates" and search for "5pix", and BAM, I see all the preview images of templates with 5 images. (note - I try not to rename "folder.jpg" if possible in case that is the one that shows at the higher level")

This should make my life easier and help me find templates I forgot I had. I hope it helps someone else...
Good idea -- I should do this before my template folder gets any bigger! Thanks!

wendella247 is offline   Reply With Quote