MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Let's talk about Scrapbooking > Organization
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest

Old 06-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
cassidyk
Taking the Studio Backlot Tour

Software: SBC+ 3.0
I also have a very similar system as Andrea is describing. I have everything filed by theme or subject for both Disney and non-Disney kits. For non-Disney I have categories such as:
Birthday and celebration
Fall and Thanksgiving
Winter and snow
Spring and Easter
Summer and Beach
Christmas
School and graduation
Patriotic and Americana
Stage and screen
Wordart
Background embellishments
Feminine
Masculine
Family
Etc

I have one folder that I keep all my alpha sets as opposed to grouping them within the themes. I find that I use them more that way.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps!
It\'s a Small World United States of America Mouse Ears Carousel horse Angel Limited Edition Amazon pin #6 Jungle Cruise Boardwalk 1 Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Monorail Magical Express I love DCL! Skyway Earful Tower Minnie\'s Bow Thanks for being an outstanding contributor to the site Kathryn! 2011 Special Edition pin #7 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Great Britain Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s shorts Captain EO Teacups Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Rocket Jets Beast

cassidyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
r0binb
Stopping for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Software: PS CS5 & CS3
Camera: Sony Cybershot, Sony a55
This is how currently sort/store my kits. It's an evolving process, but for now this is what works for me.

I store alphas separately because I found I never used them when they were hidden down inside a kit. And in challenges/speed scraps that called for more than one alpha I struggled to figure out what to use because they were so hard to find.

Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Speed Scrapper! Disney Vacation Club Member I love DCL! United States of America Magical Express Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Monorail Teacups Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Minnie Bride Captain EO Star Tours

r0binb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6~PSE10~SBC
Camera: Nikon D3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0binb View Post
This is how currently sort/store my kits. It's an evolving process, but for now this is what works for me.

I store alphas separately because I found I never used them when they were hidden down inside a kit. And in challenges/speed scraps that called for more than one alpha I struggled to figure out what to use because they were so hard to find.

OMG Robin, thank you for this, this is my DREAM!
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

WDW Scrap Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
meejay

Software: PSCS 5.5
Camera: iPhone 4s, Canon Powershot SX230, Nikon D5000
WOW! These are some great tips! I'm home sick tonight and can't design, but I can reorganize files. Thanks for sharing.

Now Planning for Fall 2015 - back to Caribbean Beach!
Minnie\'s Bow Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar United States of America Earful Tower 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #1 Teacups 2011 Special Edition pin #6 2011 Special Edition pin #5 I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Carousel horse

meejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
ILuvCrush
Having dinner at Ohana

Software: SBC+3.0
Camera: Sony Alpha-550 DSLR
The way I do it is sort of a cross between the two lol!

I have all my kits organized by designer....

But... I also have a Preview File.

In my preview file...I have all sorts of subfiles based on topic.
for example... I have boys, girls, dance, disney, outdoors, nature, animals, etc. I also have color themes... blues, pastels, neutrals, primary, etc... plus a file for alphas.

I put a copy of the preview...in EVERY category it applies to! So if its pink and princess-y... a copy of it will be in pastel, girls, princess, disney folders.

I like that when I'm working on a page... I can go to the theme folder... and see all the different options I have for that page. And since I just put the preview in there... its small! I love kits that I can use for a multitude of different pages! If I filed the actual kits this way... it would only be in one spot.... and I wouldn't be able to cross reference them as easily.
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Mouse Ears Monorail Eiffel Tower Mickeys shoe I link to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Contemporary Resort 2 Magical Express Star Tours Expedition Everest Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow D23 Member Captain EO Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pirate Flag Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Turkey Christmas Tree Cheshire Cat 1 Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Paula! France Italy United Kingdom Morocco Canada Germany

ILuvCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #16
scrappinnewbie
E Ticket Holder

Camera: Cannon Rebel XTi
I like the thought of having a combination. Thanks so very much for all your input! It has been extremely helpful! Yeah! I feel more organized already... I like having a game plan.

Since I have so much already organized by Designer, I am going to try the preview folder broken down by topics. My only issue is going to be figuring out the topic. Some of the kits really aren't themed based, but I will figure something out.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I have kits that I have forgotten about and really want to start using them. I just need a better system.

again!

Melinda
Mouse Ears United States of America Minnie\'s Shoe Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Melinda! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Teacups Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Panda Germany R2-D2 Pigglet 1 Carol helped me book my vacation! Big Thunder Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Ive met another MouseScrapper

scrappinnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #17
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

I found this article too:

http://thedailydigi.com/category/jus...inners/page/2/
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
meejay

Software: PSCS 5.5
Camera: iPhone 4s, Canon Powershot SX230, Nikon D5000
Quick question - Do you all keep stuff on a hard drive or an external? I've done both, but since I have a laptop the external is hard to hold onto in the living room.

Now Planning for Fall 2015 - back to Caribbean Beach!
Minnie\'s Bow Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar United States of America Earful Tower 2011 Special Edition pin #7 2011 Special Edition pin #1 Teacups 2011 Special Edition pin #6 2011 Special Edition pin #5 I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Carousel horse

meejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
ILuvCrush
Having dinner at Ohana

Camera: Sony Alpha-550 DSLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meejay View Post
Quick question - Do you all keep stuff on a hard drive or an external? I've done both, but since I have a laptop the external is hard to hold onto in the living room.
I have pretty much everything on my external hard drive.

Between CT kits...stuff I've bought... CU stuff... stuff I've made....lol! I Have about 300+ MB of Scrap stuff..... my computer would have palpitations if I tried to keep it all on there!

I will import the particular kit(s) that I want to use for the current page or 2 I'm working on.... but once I'm done with them, I take them off me hard drive.

I too have a laptop... and that seems to work pretty good.

I have a seperate external with all my pics on it.... so I jusggle 2 EHD... and don't have too much trouble
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Mouse Ears Monorail Eiffel Tower Mickeys shoe I link to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Contemporary Resort 2 Magical Express Star Tours Expedition Everest Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Ears Minnie\'s Bow D23 Member Captain EO Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Pirate Flag Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Turkey Christmas Tree Cheshire Cat 1 Thanks for all your help with MouseScrappers Paula! France Italy United Kingdom Morocco Canada Germany

ILuvCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meejay View Post
Extremely important to back up your kits and pics either in DVD's or in an On-line back up service because computer Hardrives crash and External Hardrive
fail, to extract from both its expensive, so always very important to back up and not to have "All your eggs in one basket"