MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Travel > DVC Chat
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Disney Baby

Software: Storybook Creator Plus 3.0 and 4.0
Camera: Sony Alpha 33
Questions about Park Passes and Dining

My DH and I are seriously considering DVC. We have always stayed on property except in 2008 when we stayed at my parent's timeshare (Westgate Villas). I have a million questions but I will start with a few ...

When we stay on property we do the dining plan and we get the park hoppers for length of stay.

1) Can you get a dining plan or do you need one - especially since you have a kitchen? When you book dining - do you get the same consideration as Resort guests?

2) What type of passes do you buy? Do you to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours if you do not have your room key that doubles as your park pass?

Thanks!!!
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Thanks for exceptional help with challenges Jennifer! Sorcerer\'s Hat Mickey\'s glove Mouse Ears Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Teacups Minnie Bride Skyway It\'s a Small World Earful Tower Mickey Pumpkin Carousel horse Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Pop Century

Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Hi Jennifer,

I'm still a new member, but I'll start the ball rolling on your questions, and maybe some of the longer term members can chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
1) Can you get a dining plan or do you need one - especially since you have a kitchen? When you book dining - do you get the same consideration as Resort guests?
Yes, as I understand it you can get the Disney Dining Plan (must be purchased for everyone in your party over 2). Do you need one? Well, it depends if you envision utilizing the kitchen while at Disney. It surely would be a lot cheaper, but it could be inconvenient. What, specifically, do you mean by 'same consideration'? I do notice on the travel agent online booking engine that they ask if the guest is a DVC Member (or AP holder). As a side note, DVC members can get 10-20% discount on several (not a ton) of restaurants around Disney property. A couple at EPCOT and AK, and several at the resorts and Downtown Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
2) What type of passes do you buy? Do you to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours if you do not have your room key that doubles as your park pass?
I personally never buy hoppers (doesn't fit our touring habits, but I know it works well for others). I think water parks and more is an excellent value - I added this to our 2006 non-expiring 10-day pass, and we received 10 visits that will never expire. We used two last summer and still have 8 left. So I probably won't add that option any time soon. Still for just a little bit more than the price of admission to one of these 'fun' activities, you get up to 10 admissions (depending on the length of your ticket). At $52, this is such a good value, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney modifies how they price this option (e.g. charge more with each park day you buy). As far as EMH, I avoid it! (especially morning EMH as people go to that park, then stay all day). If you have hoppers, than you might want to take advantage of EMH and go to another park once it starts getting crowded. Though maybe I'm not answering your question. What do you mean about not having your room key?

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
janette
Taking a Journey Into Imagination

1) Dining Plan - we've never purchased the dining plan although it is a newer option. We've had the Dining Experience (currently Tables In Wonderland) card and that gives us 20% off at most restaurants. We don't cook but often take left overs back to the room so that does make the food stretch some. We do tend to eat at more Table Service restaurants and having 2 teens and usually guests make the dining plan just more money and we don't eat that much.

2) We buy the discount AP; our typical Disney vacations are 1 year on one off so between banking / borrowing we'll do multiple vacations in a year with an AP and not go the next year. In 2007/2008 we went as a family in Nov and Aug for a total of 3 wks and I went for a week in May with friends and my Mom. We are going back this year but the girls are only going for a week in June and I'm working on the Disney Youth open enrollment tickets for them but would buy regular PH if that wasn't available. My DH & I are going back in Oct so we'll buy AP's. Love the AP discount that we get with DVC

You get all perks of staying onsite; you just show your room key if needed but you don't use it as your ticket. You also get some extra discounts perks with DVC. We typically have DVC, AP, Disney Visa & TIW so often I just ask which is the best discount or perk.

janette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
stormer
Enjoying the view from the Swiss Family Treehouse

Software: SBC+ 3.0
1. We only use the kitchen for breakfast. We do the dining plans sometimes, it depends on our reservations for that particular trip. We look at where we are eating and decide what is best for that trip. I would say more often than not we do the dining plan.

2. We usually buy the discounted AP's, also. We try to fit in two trips in a year to fully use them. If we know we are only make one trip that year we get regular tickets. Park hoppers are added to your room key, just AP's aren't. We do EMH if we go during the summer. We like to visit the end of Aug and it is very hot. We go to the park early and stay until lunch time. We go back to the resort and swim during the hottest part of the day and return for evening EMH. It is still hot, but at least the sun isn't beating on you.

DVC rooms are great. You get very used to them!
Disney Vacation Club Member Sorcerer\'s Hat Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts Star Tours Rocket Jets Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Captain EO Contemporary Resort 1 Monorail Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Pirate Ears Boardwalk 1 Earful Tower Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Cutester Minnie Gingerbread Darth Vader

stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
poohaddict
E Ticket Holder

Software: Storybook Creator 3.0 & PSE9
Camera: Canon Rebel T2i
We just got home from our vacation and we stayed at Westgate Lakes. they were very nice but NOT worth the money. We toured both westgate and DVC the same day and they were like night and day. DVC resorts are absolutely amazing!!!!!!! westgate is ok but we figured it out in the same time frame that you would own with DVC westgate was double with the yearly maintence. My answer DVC all the way!!! HTH

My Blog Donna
Carousel horse Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Expedition Everest Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Mouse Ears Pirate Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Cheshire Cat 1 Teacups Star Tours Germany Earful Tower Minnie\'s Bow It\'s a Small World Mickey Pumpkin USA Pinocchio Girlie Disney Vacation Club Minnie Cupcake Toy Story Pooh Marie Cupcake Cheshire Cat Cupcake Pirate 2 Pumpkin Mickey Confetti Cupcake Plane Crazy Toy Story Alien Mexico

poohaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
MommyDearest
Just parked the car

Camera: Nikon D40

We usually do the dining plan when we go. I really like it for adults but it is pretty limited for the kids. Usually its the same stuff for them at most restaurants and their dessert selection is never as good as the adults.
We use our kitchen for snacks and stuff but I hate cooking at home so I'm sure not going to cook on vacation. Also we are not big on going back to our room just to eat.

I have annual pass as do my 2 youngest sons. The older boys rarely ever go. My husband doesn't go as often so we just get a hopper for him.

MommyDearest is offline   Reply With Quote