MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Design Challenges
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
frogfish
Taking the Monorail to EPCOT

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Lumix
Design Challenge #18 - September/October 2014 - COLORS

Color Swatch for Design Challenge #18 - September/October 2014

Hex Codes: #fcd843, #f78d2a, #8284c0, #fcd6d7, #dd3526, #af4c81

This will be a two month challenge.

Deadline - Friday, October 31 (by 11:59pm CST)
Reveal and Blog Hop on Friday, November 14.

This time there will be two weeks between the submission due date and the reveal/blog hop to give you and the CT some time to do sample layouts before the kit goes in the MS store.

As you are planning your contribution, please look through the things others are making so the kit doesn't have a lot of duplicate items. We want this kit to have tons of variety! Try something new, learn a new technique, and stretch your boundaries a little! Check out this thread for resources, tutorials, tips, and tricks for designers.

We would like to include two templates in this kit. A PhotoShop template with at least 25 layers will fulfill the minimum submission requirement. You should submit both a layered PhotoShop document and untrimmed PNG files named 1,2,3,4,5,etc. The first two people to send me a PM indicating a desire to create a template for this month’s challenge will be listed below.

Template 1: frogfish
Template 2: bonham0731

Submission Guidelines:
  • Submissions can be any combination of papers, individual elements (such as ribbons, scatters, frames, etc), word art, alphas, and clusters. The minimum number of unique items is 5; the maximum number of unique items is 25. The same paper/element in different colors counts as one. A full alpha fulfills the minimum requirement. Although you may submit any combination of items you want, we would prefer to see themed mini kits (which include a combination of papers, elements, and possibly a coordinating alpha).
  • All papers and elements MUST use the provided color swatch—you can use any shade (darker or lighter) of the chosen colors. You may also use these neutral colors: black, white, shades of gray, brown, silver and gold.
  • You may not submit items for which you do not hold the copyright. If you use fonts, overlays, elements, etc. to create your items they must be labeled for commercial use (CU) and if their terms require, include with your submission a statement that gives proper credit.
  • You must include a TOU/copyright notice in your submission. A basic fill-in-the-blank TOU can be found here if you don’t have one of your own.
  • There is no mb maximum for submissions, but please make sure you are sizing a saving your items according to the following guidelines.
    • Papers should be:
      • 12”x12” 300dpi (which is 3600pixels x 3600pixels),
      • Saved as a JPG file that is about 3mb.
        • In Photoshop, after clicking on the “Save As” button, enter the desired file name and select “JPG” from the dropdown menu; click on “OK”. A popup screen should appear entitled “JPG Options”; change the quality value to “8” and click on “OK”. Saving the file with a value of “8 or 10” for quality will ensure it is the correct size (approx. 3mb).
    • Elements/Alphas should be:
      • Sized appropriately for a 12”x12” 300dpi layout; make your items the same size you would want them to be when creating a layout. For example: 12"x12" is not a reasonable size for flower elements; 2"x2" is more appropriate,
      • Trimmed so there is a minimal amount of blank canvas around the item,
      • Saved as a PNG file—the file size (mb) will vary based on the size (inches) of the element.
    • A preview of your submission is required. It should be:
      • 600pixels x 600pixels 72dpi,
      • It must minimally include your name (the one you used to save the files) and pictures of the items that you created for the challenge,
      • Previews may be as basic or elaborate as you want them to be.
        • A basic preview would tile the papers and/or line up the elements,
        • A more elaborate preview would arrange papers and/or elements in a more creative manner—as designers do to advertise their kits.
Some quality issues to pay attention to are listed below. If you have questions about what these things are or how to prevent/fix them, please ask! Everyone can benefit from adhering to these bullet points.
  • Do not pre-shadow elements or elements on papers.
  • Make sure paper textures aren’t blurry at 100%.
  • Check that elements are not cut off or missing parts.
  • When extracting or creating elements, be sure the edges are not jagged. Do NOT use the paint bucket tool to recolor elements--you will get jagged edges every time!
  • After creating a paper or element, check to be sure it is in gamut.
You can find more information on QC issues here.

IMPORTANT:
You may NOT include:
  • Any items trademarked or copyrighted by Disney. This includes but is not limited to names, words, song lyrics, and phrases (for example, you cannot create word art that says “Cinderella”, “Splash Mountain”, “Pop Century”, etc.).
  • Photos, clipart, silhouettes, etc. of Disney characters—no Mickey heads either!
  • Park, attraction, resort, restaurant, or movie signage/symbols/logos.
  • Photos of buildings/structures on Disney property.
  • Elements that are too similar to images copyrighted by Disney (for example: you may create a turtle that has similar coloration as Crush, but you may not create one with the same markings, eyes, expression, etc).
Your papers/elements should be useful for Disney layouts without infringing on the copyrights that Disney has on its characters, movies, parks, rides, attractions, etc.
The following website has a searchable database where you can look to see if a name/phrase is trademarked: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

*** If there are any questions about minimum requirements or copyright infringement, please ask. ***

Files and Zipped Folder(s):
Naming your files:
Your MS username_DC#_element type_description
Paper Example: MMouse_DC50_paper_green.jpg
Element Example: MMouse_DC50_button_red.png
Alpha Example: MMouse_DC50_alpha_uppercase_A.png
Naming your folder(s):
Your MS username_DC#
Example: MMouse_DC50
If your username is longer than 8 characters, please use an abbreviation. Avoid using spaces anywhere in the file/folder name. If you design under a different name, you may use that name instead of your MouseScrappers name.
Please limit the size of each zipped folder to 50mb. If your submission is larger than 50 mb, please split it into separate zipped folders to help control download times. If you have more than one zipped folder, name them in this manner:
Your MS username_DC#_folderletter
Example: MMouse_DC50_A & MMouse_DC50_B
To zip files place all your elements and a TOU inside a folder, then zip that folder. This is automatically creates a folder containing your files in whatever folder the user unzips to.
There are many ways to compress (zip) a folder. You can use a program such as WINZIP/WINRAR or, if you are on a Windows operating system, there is a utility built into Windows that you can use.
  • Right click on the folder containing your items and select “Send To”. Click on “Compressed (zipped) folder”. A new folder will be created in the same directory with the same name but it will be compressed (zipped).

Uploading Submissions:
We will be utilizing DropITtoME to collect submissions this month. When you are ready to submit you items, send frogfish (Christina) a PM for the link and password. Don't worry, it's super easy and I will receive your submission immediately (no waiting to download).

Disclaimer:
The completed kit will be added to the MouseScrappers store for anyone to purchase. All proceeds from the sale of the kit will be used to keep MouseScrappers running. Every month you participate in this challenge, you will receive the resulting design challenge collaboration kit (for that month) free of charge, but will receive no compensation (monetary or otherwise) for your submission to the challenge or for the sale of the collaboration kit. Any and all proceeds from the sale of the completed kit go to MouseScrappers. Copyright of your submission remains with you.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You DON'T have to be a designer; anyone can do this! The more people who participate, the bigger the monthly kit will be!

Last edited by frogfish; 09-10-2014 at 12:20 PM.

frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
frogfish
Taking the Monorail to EPCOT

Software: Photoshop CS4
Camera: Lumix
I really see Winnie the Pooh and Friends in this swatch...

It would be perfect for the Crystal Palace character encounters!!!

What do you see?

Please make sure that your preview images follow the above guidelines (they should be 600x600 pixels at 72 dpi) and note the date for the reveal/blog hop (two weeks after the submission due date to give you and the CT time to create sample layouts).

I'm going sign myself up for a template this time
It has been sooooooo long since I've joined in the design challenge as a participant and I need to get back in the swing of things! No time like the present, right?

frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
shaz515
Just parked the car

I just love these colors! My first thought was Pooh and his friends too!

I will join in again for this challenge and Blog Hop

shaz515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Murmer
Getting some photos of the Tree of Life

I will join in with at least a paperback but maybe even a mini kit....I am thinking something princessy.
Ive met another MouseScrapper Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts!

Murmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
shaz515
Just parked the car

I have a question about adding elements of neutral colors, and was wondering if it is ok to add some green foliage?

shaz515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
WDW Scrap Princess
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6~PSE10~SBC
Camera: Nikon D3300
I can make paper pack! I love this theme!
Disney Vacation Club Member Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Carousel horse Magical Express Sorcerer\'s Hat Boardwalk 1 Contemporary Resort 1 Rocket Jets Monorail Eiffel Tower Earful Tower Minnie\'s Shoe Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag I love DCL! Cheshire Cat 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Thanks for helping to make MouseScrappers a better place Teresa! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Cutester Minnie Dale Bambi

WDW Scrap Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
ewebwoman
Going through the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom

Software: Photoshop CS6, Storybook Creator
Camera: Canon 5DMIII, 7D, 5D
Design Challenge #18

I have never officially designed before but would like to give this a try. Any advice from for a newbie (besides reading the instructions)?

Minnie\'s Shoe Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Star Tours Fantasmic Goofys Hat I love DCL! Teacups Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) It\'s a Small World Mickey\'s glove Monorail Pirate Ears Rocket Jets WDW logo Cheshire Cat 1 Jiminy Cricket Anna Elsa Skyway Baymax Carousel horse D23 Member Olaf Sorcerer\'s Hat Jungle Cruise Sven I link to MouseScrappers!

ewebwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
Pooh46
Watching the kids play in a bug's land

Software: Adobe CC
Camera: Nikon D5300
I'm back from my cruise and ready for the next Design Challenge! I'll be making a Mulan inspired mini kit and alpha and will be participating in the blog hop. Thanks, Christina!
Mouse Ears Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Disney Vacation Club Member Boardwalk 1 Magical Express I love DCL! United States of America Sorcerer\'s Hat Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Teacups Minnie\'s Bow Earful Tower Ive met another MouseScrapper

Pooh46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
monstermama
Watching fireworks burst over Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Software: Photoshop CC
Camera: iPhone & Nikon DF
So glad it's another two month challenge! I'll do a minikit. Hmm, have no idea where I'm going with this yet. I was thinking princess-y, but I think Murmer's already doing that. Have to think some more...

Debbie - are you looking for maybe a beginner's designer course? I've got a couple of tutorials I really like that I can send your way, if that's what you're interested in.
Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I link to MouseScrappers! Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Star Tours Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Rocket Jets Mouse Ears Monorail Minnie\'s Bow Disney Vacation Club Member

monstermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Murmer
Getting some photos of the Tree of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermama View Post
So glad it's another two month challenge! I'll do a minikit. Hmm, have no idea where I'm going with this yet. I was thinking princess-y, but I think Murmer's already doing that. Have to think some more...

Debbie - are you looking for maybe a beginner's designer course? I've got a couple of tutorials I really like that I can send your way, if that's what you're interested in.
I would like to know what those tutorials are!
Ive met another MouseScrapper Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts!

Murmer is offline   Reply With Quote