MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Speed Scraps
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
tukogirl

Smile Hints, tricks, how to's for Speed Scraps!

The basics:
Because of server issues, we would like to have as many people using our chat room instead of the boards, as possible. You may want to do a practice log in if you've never used the chat room before. http://client14.addonchat.com/chat.php?id=474111. Your username is the same username you use here at Mousescrappers.

Shortly before the speed scrap begins, log in to the chat if you are able and find the correct thread for that speed scrap.

The hostess will start posting directions when the speed scrap begins, one at a time, coming every 10 minutes or so, for a total of 7 instructions. They will be posting the directions in the chat as well as updating them on the first post of the thread, so if you miss something in the chat or start a little late you can find them in the thread.

You will have 4 hours from the start of the speed scrap to finish all 7 directions, post to the gallery, link to the appropriate forum area and then link to the speed scrap thread. You do not have to be online when the speed scrap starts, or even during the directions period. All that matters is you complete it within 4 hours, so if you need to be late, or are only available during part of the 4 hour window, participate when you can!

The host WILL be checking that you have completed the challenge and done all of the linking before your prize will be given. Keep in mind that the hostess will be checking links for every layout, leaving comments, answering questions and during the minnie marathon be getting ready to participate in other speed scraps themselves- so please be patient for your participation prize.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave loves for your fellow participants. Everyone loves praise and it is fun to see what everyone was working on while the chat was happening, as well as how they interpreted the directions.

Some Tips:
Especially for the Minnie Marathon coming up, it might be a good idea to do a little legwork before the speed scraps and decide which pictures you want to scrap as well as some kits or items that coordinate. You may get some directions that totally don't go with whatever you've got planned, if so, grab another picture/kit idea and work with something else you had thought of during your quick prep.

Be flexible! You may be thinking you are going to scrap the flower and garden festival and then the host says no flowers...grab a new set of pics/kit (see above) or think on your feet and see if you can scrap that flower and garden page without using any flower elements. You will surprise yourself with what you can come up with and you most likely will end up liking the results!

Your hostess will be flexible too! You were going to do a page about the Dinosaur! ride and you hostess says you must use 5 flowers...make em tiny! hide em behind something else! Unless she says you must use 5 patterned papers, use as many as you want. Unless she says 3 and only 3 pictures, use as many as you want! If the directions says to make a white frame around the pic in photoshop and you have no idea how to do it, I'm sure she will accept it if you used some white paper behind the photos to get a similar look. The hostess will give you 7 directions but in most they can be done many different ways and with lots of interpretation. They want you to be creative so don't get bogged down trying to follow the rules to the exact pixel, get frustrated, and give up. Be creative, be flexible, and they will be flexible too!

Don't try to make the layout a Michelangelo! It's hard to be creative on a time limit. Don't try to make it perfect. Be flexible (see above). You can always tweak it next week or next year - that's part of the joy of digital scrapping, right? So what if you don't love the buttons that were required...before you print for your personal scrapbook, take them off! If you only get to use two pics, but you have 8 you want to scrap...make it a two pager and do the second page to match later. Remember, everyone else is working with the same time limit and you don't expect perfect layouts from them, do you? Probably not! Don't feel like you have to make this layout worthy of being on the front page of your favorite website. Because you are working out of your comfort zone, it most likely won't be front page worthy! Remember this is supposed to be fun, not perfect.

Ask questions in the chat! Don't know how to add flowers to your dinosaur layout or how to make your photos sepia? Ask for ideas from your fellow participants.

You will need to give credits for all of the items you used, so keep track as you go. You don't want to have to go back and figure it out while you've only got 5 minutes till the page is due. You can write it out on a piece of paper or open up a word doc in the background and flip to it every time you use an item.

Leave a note thanking your host. It takes a lot of work to organize, create interesting directions, make or find cool participation prizes, leave loves for every participant, answer questions under pressure, make sure everyone linked where they were supposed to and followed the directions, and distribute the prizes. They are trying to make Mousescrappers a fun place for you....thank them for it.

HAVE FUN! Speed Scraps can be nerve wracking at first, but they are meant to be fun. Don't stress. Enjoy chatting with the other participants. Try things you've never done before. Use colors/items/layouts you normally wouldn't use. Check out what all of your fellow participants did. You'll be surprised at how many ways there are to do things or how other people interpret the directions. Don't expect perfection or the best layout you've ever created - that might happen but if it does it really is just a bonus after the fun experience.

Please add your own speed scrapping hints, tips, tricks, or bright ideas to this thread to share with others!

Thanks for being so nice to others Andrea! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) It\'s a Small World Teacups Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Speed Scrapper! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Carol helped me book my vacation! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Magical Express Expedition Everest 2011 Special Edition pin #1 2011 Special Edition pin #4 2011 Special Edition pin #2 D23 Member Norway Sulley Big Eyes Minnie I love DCL! Pop Century Big Thunder Cozy Cone Motel Kilimanjaro Safaris Ive met another MouseScrapper Dale Perry

Last edited by tukogirl; 03-17-2011 at 01:55 PM.

tukogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
luv2scrapmm
E Ticket Holder

Software: Craft Artist
Camera: Canon Powershot SX10IS & learning to use my new Nikon D3100
Great ideas Andrea!!

As I am still relatively new to speed scraps and for most of them only had an hour or so because of work, I try to use a larger kit that has a variety of elements and papers already coordinated. If a layout calls for flowers and I don't have something handy right away, I'll cut them from one of the papers and use a button or brad (or even a circle from a coordinating paper) as the center.
Pirate Ears Speed Scrapper! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest I love DCL! Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Haunted Mansion Sorcerers Hat Panda Beast Redfan R2-D2 Boo Toy Story Alien Gingerbread Italy Pigglet 1 Great Britain Morocco Big Eyes Goofy Mickey Bar Pooh Big Eyes Mike Wazowski Norway Cutester Minnie Kermit 1 France Test Track Pumpkin Mickey Germany

luv2scrapmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Chef Minnie Mouse
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6
Camera: Nikon D7000
Thanks Andrea! I love your ideas. Getting ready for the
Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Lisa! Mexico Norway China Germany Italy United States of America Japan Morocco France United Kingdom Canada Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Pirate Flag Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Earful Tower Captain EO Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I love DCL! D23 Member

Chef Minnie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
DM1220
Enjoying an Illuminations dessert party

Software: PSE 5
Camera: HP SB360
Great tips Andrea!

DM1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
roxana
Checking out, and taking Magical Express back to MCO

Software: CS5
Camera: Canon
Great ideas Andrea! Also wanted to add that I write down the instructions, and keep checking them so that at the end I don´t forget any! That works fine to me!

I link to MouseScrappers! Mouse Ears Minnie\'s Bow Speed Scrapper! Sorcerer\'s Hat Jungle Cruise Peru Monorail Maracas Carousel horse Pirate Ears Teacups Pop Century Star Tours Captain EO Magical Express Thanks for being so helpful to others Roxana! Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Pirate Flag Viking Ship Pirate Dog Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Cheshire Cat 1 Minnie\'s Shoe It\'s a Small World Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Expedition Everest Mickey\'s glove Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

roxana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Wow, Andrea.. this is awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to come up with all these tips and information!

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
buttner-jenkins
Admiring the nostalgic touches on Buena Vista Avenue

Software: GIMP
Camera: Canon EOS D40
Many MANY thanx Andrea for sharing this with us newbies to Speed Scraps!

buttner-jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
tukogirl

Great tips guys!

I also wanted to add that you can use our weekly challenge templates for speed scraps as long as they are not the CURRENT week's template. Feel free to use any past template challenge template for your speed scrap but be sure you put your layout into the speed scrap category and not the template category of the gallery.

Thanks for being so nice to others Andrea! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) It\'s a Small World Teacups Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway I link to MouseScrappers! Speed Scrapper! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Carol helped me book my vacation! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Magical Express Expedition Everest 2011 Special Edition pin #1 2011 Special Edition pin #4 2011 Special Edition pin #2 D23 Member Norway Sulley Big Eyes Minnie I love DCL! Pop Century Big Thunder Cozy Cone Motel Kilimanjaro Safaris Ive met another MouseScrapper Dale Perry

tukogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
RuthieRoo
Having dinner at California Grill

Thanks for the tips Andrea!!! I have a list of photo ideas & kits ready for the weekend.

Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat United Kingdom Monorail Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Minnie\'s Bow Mickey\'s glove Teacups Earful Tower I link to MouseScrappers! Pop Century Star Tours Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Mickey Pumpkin Jack Skellington Wicked Stepmother Cutester Bee

RuthieRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
CAVEA001
Flying to Orlando

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
I second the notion of pre-planning. My very first speed scrap it took me 15 minutes to choose photos. I ended up changing photos 4 times!

Then, before the next speed scrap I threw some photos on a template, and tossed some papers and elements I might want to use. This was much easier to get started.
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Mouse Ears Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s glove I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World United States of America Canada Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Cheshire Cat 1 I love DCL! Japan

CAVEA001 is offline   Reply With Quote