MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Photography
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
anyone shoot in RAW? (DSLR)

People keep encouraging me to shoot in RAW. I've been trying to decide whether to shoot my upcoming trip in RAW (or RAW with jpg), but I'm a little scared!. I spent one day shooting raw at a local theme park, and I was a little overwhelmed by looking at all the photos in Lightroom when I got home. Not even sure where to start. I think the RAW plus jpg = about 10MB per shot. My camera can only use 2GB memory cards. I think I have about 4 of them.

Any thoughts?

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Fioontje
Relaxing on the TTA PeopleMover

Software: Photoshop CS6
Camera: Sony A350 & Panasonic TZ7
I always shoot in RAW. It takes a whole lot of memory ( I have a 4 GB card and shoot around 185 RAW pictures) and so much time, but when I want to adjust my pictures in Photoshop, the results are so much better than when you work with Jpeg.

I'm planning to buy some more memory cards for my camera and bringing my laptop with me on our trip. During our 4-day trip to Disneyland Paris, we already made almost 2000 pic's, I don't wanna know with how much I'm gonna get home after our trip to WDW
Netherlands Sorcerer\'s Hat Eiffel Tower Captain EO Expedition Everest Magical Express Earful Tower I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I link to MouseScrappers! Cheshire Cat 1

Fioontje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Chef Minnie Mouse
E Ticket Holder

Software: CS6
Camera: Nikon D7000
How do you shoot in RAW?
Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Lisa! Mexico Norway China Germany Italy United States of America Japan Morocco France United Kingdom Canada Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey Pumpkin Pirate Dog Pirate Flag Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Earful Tower Captain EO Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Minnie\'s Bow Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I love DCL! D23 Member

Chef Minnie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
MelissaD
Racing through the icy caverns of the Matterhorn

Software: Photoshop CS3
Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaD
My current camera is outdated enough that I don't even have the option to do so. LOL My husband bought one for himself a few months ago though, and he had the option to shoot in jpg+raw, so I encouraged him to try it for a while. He's stuck to it, but he hasn't played with the photos yet.
Mickey\'s glove Mickey\'s shorts Sorcerer\'s Hat Mouse Ears I link to MouseScrappers! It\'s a Small World Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Teacups Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Rocket Jets Contemporary Resort 1

MelissaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Minnie Mouse View Post
How do you shoot in RAW?
Most DSLR's would probably have this option. I would guess that most point and shoots do not(?). I shot my entire trip in RAW+jpg. I have yet to go thru them all. The jpg file size is pretty small (less than 300kb), but it's enough to be able to see the basic image. I think I used about 7 or 8 GB.

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
kathleena
Taking the bus to the Magic Kingdom

Software: PSCS4
Camera: Canon XS1IS Olympus Stylus-9000
Sorry if this posts twice, I did a reply but it's not showing up

I have a P&S that shoots in RAW - Canon Powershot SX1 IS. I went to this after I decided my DSLR was just too heavy and I sold it to my step-daughter. I have two 4GB card to accommodate all the extra files.

But I think PSCS4 and Lightroom have RAW processing. I got into the CS4 one by accident once and need to go back and figure out how I got there! Once I do I'll stop taking in RAW.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18301
Sorcerer\'s Hat I link to MouseScrappers! United States of America Viking Ship Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) I got the Tree of Life for referring people to MouseScrappers! Boardwalk 1 Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Magical Express Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Eiffel Tower Fairy Godmother D23 Member Monorail Cheshire Cat 1 Limited Edition Amazon pin #5 Limited Edition Amazon pin #6 I love DCL! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Canada Norway

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Sand
Watching the kids play in a bug's land

Software: PSE-8
Camera: Nikon D5000
When our first child was born I realized how important it was to capture time thru photography. ALL of the pics we took with our point and click camera were blurry. UGH! Since then I have been trying to learn as much as I can, outside of point and click with my DSLR camera (Nikon D5000).
Now having a second child, I haven't had a lot of time for much but still try and research as much as possible. (Our girls are 2 and 4 now).

We are going on our first DCL cruise this October. Thru our cruise DIS thread one of the passengers is a photographer that uses a Nikon D80. I have admired his work on other DIS photography threads so I was really excited to discover we were going to be on the same cruise. I pick his brain every chance I get! So getting to my point, Dave does not shoot in RAW simply because it it to large. According to him he prefers to shoot jpegs and just adjust the saturation or white balance with Topaz Adjust http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/ or PSE. He is really getting into HDR photography now (High Dynamic Range) http://www.stuckincustoms.com//hdr-photography/. The HDR is more of a dramatic look. It would look great on the walls but, in my opinion, not great for scrapbooking. I personally care to shoot jpegs capturing the unusual, fun, magical moments then edited with PSE. Bottomline, Dave and I both agree raw vs jpegs comes down to personal preference.
Disney Vacation Club Member United States of America Contemporary Resort 1 Boardwalk 1 Magical Express Star Tours Carousel horse Rocket Jets I love DCL! I link to MouseScrappers! Canada United Kingdom France

Last edited by Sand; 05-23-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
TanyaH666
Fascinated by the World of Color

Software: CS5 and PSE8
Camera: Sony NEX-5R & QX-100
When I first got my camera I tried shooting in raw+jpg for about 50 photos. This was before I had started dig scrapping so I didn't have PSE yet. I was turned off simply by how long it was taking to upload the pictures to my computer! I should try again just to see the difference now that I know how to use Photoshop, but I hated how long it took to transfer them.
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Jungle Cruise I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Tanya! Speed Scrapper! Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Expedition Everest Magical Express Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pop Century Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Cutester Minnie Pumpkin King Kaa Ursula Pete Ive met another MouseScrapper Eiffel Tower

TanyaH666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
WenRob
Arrived in Orlando, waiting for Magical Express

Software: Corel PSP X3
Camera: Nikon D90 & D700 (woo hoo!)
Here are my responses to why I shoot RAW from the lens thread:

Okay RAW. The benefit of RAW is that the camera doesn't throw away all the extra info so you can pull a couple of stops either way without trashing your pic. Blow some highlights? Shooting in jpeg, tough patootie, they're gone, can't get them back. In RAW you can almost always get most of them back. Under expose pretty bad? Jpeg it looks pretty bad when you try to bring it up because the info just isn't there. RAW you have at least two stops leeway and can rescue some pretty bad shots. YOU decide what your pics are going to look like not the camera. It seems hard at first but once you have a system down you'll never go back.

Here's a good example of why I shoot RAW. I'm guessing my camera metered for the sky rather then the kids. Of course it's the only one showing DS being brave enough to get an autograph (he's hidden behind DD but you can see he was there!). No way would this look half as nice had it been shot in jpg, there wouldn't have been enough info.
Before: After:
Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pirate Ears Teacups Jungle Cruise Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Ive met another MouseScrapper

WenRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
TanyaH666
Fascinated by the World of Color

Software: CS5 and PSE8
Camera: Sony NEX-5R & QX-100
oh man, you sold me!! LOL, i am switching my setting to RAW as we speak!! haha, at least i will give it a try for a while =)
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Jungle Cruise I link to MouseScrappers! Mickey Pumpkin Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Tanya! Speed Scrapper! Captain EO Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Limited Edition Amazon pin #3 Expedition Everest Magical Express Pirate Dog Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Pop Century Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Cutester Minnie Pumpkin King Kaa Ursula Pete Ive met another MouseScrapper Eiffel Tower

TanyaH666 is offline   Reply With Quote