MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Challenges! > Challenges (gen'l info/notes)
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Virtual Pin Shop
Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Carolc
Administrator

Software: PSE 7
Camera: Nikon D50
Color Wheel Challenge - complementary colors

So, this is kind of a bonus challenge. No prizes for doing this, no end date, just something for you to try. Hopefully this may help a few people (like me) who struggle with color selection.

For this challenge, start with the color wheel, and choose two colors that are directly opposite from each other (i.e. "complementary" colors). Here is a color wheel showing an example of two complementary colors. For larger examples/more information, you can Google "color wheel" or "color wheel complementary colors"

Rules:

1. must be Disney related

2. your layout should consist primarily of two colors that are complementary (have two main colors, but you can have a few shades/tones of each, if desired). Can also use black or white if needed. Keep accent colors to a minimum... it shouldn't detract from the two main colors.

3. use one or more photos. The photo(s) does not need to conform to any color rules, but you may want to try to use a photo that has a color that you want to accentuate (hint - use this color as a starting point and choose the color on the opposite side of the wheel... you have your colors already!)

4. upload to Gallery and post a linked image here. Paper or digital okay!

Double dipping is OK! You can use this layout for other challenges. Add as many layouts to this thread as you'd like.

Here is a layout I created for one of the weekly challenges. I wanted to accentuate the purple flowers, so I chose a purple paper and a yellow alpha.

If you have never tried selecting your colors this way, I hope you'll try it and see if you like your results. I look forward to seeing your entries!

Thanks,
Carol

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Carolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
californiateri
Stopping for lunch at Sunshine Seasons

Software: PSE10
Camera: Sony Cybershot DSC-T100
Here's one I just finished last night that works perfectly for this challenge. (I hadn't seen this challenge before I did the LO - just worked out that way!)
Blue and Orange are opposite on the color wheel.

Here's my LO: Epcot - Japan
Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I link to MouseScrappers! United States of America Mouse Ears Earful Tower Minnie\'s Bow Monorail Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Magical Express Rocket Jets Christmas Tree Carousel horse Mickey\'s glove Sorcerer\'s Hat Star Tours Teacups Eiffel Tower It\'s a Small World Mickey Pumpkin Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Minnie\'s Shoe Viking Ship Turkey Minnie Bride Wish VoluntEAR - Castle

californiateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Carolc
Administrator

You know, I never would of thought to use those colors for Japan. I keep trying to use red. This worked out great! The blue goes with the roof, and the orange goes with the fish, and the elements are perfect! Great example of complementary colors! Thanks for sharing!

Studio1955
Mickey\'s shorts Mickeys shoe Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Flag Pirate Dog Pop Century Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Speed Scrapper! Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition D23 Member Pirate Ears Disney Vacation Club Member Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Minnie Cupcake Wish VoluntEAR - Ribbon Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Minnie\'s Shoe Anna Ive met another MouseScrapper Transfer an existing reservation

Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Aussiegirl
E Ticket Holder

Fun challenge! I keep a color wheel on my desk, in case I am stuck on colors! I"ll have to keep this in mind for my next challenge maybe! Thanks Carol!
Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar It\'s a Small World Minnie\'s Bow United States of America Carousel horse Monorail Mickey\'s glove Star Tours Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Teacups Minnie\'s Shoe Pirate Dog Christmas Tree Eiffel Tower Thanks for helping with the product forum Dawn! Ive met another MouseScrapper Cheshire Cat 1 Mickey\'s shorts Expedition Everest Pirate Ears Mickeys shoe Italy I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Jungle Cruise New Zealand United Kingdom Earful Tower Pirate Flag

Aussiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
kateolas
Staying the night at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Software: Photoshop CC 2017 and Photoshop CS2
Camera: GE X500, Sony CyberShot
This challenge really made me think ... and it turned out better than I thought it would.

-credits linked in gallery-

Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Me!iss@! Teacups Pirate Flag Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Earful Tower Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Ears Monorail Speed Scrapper! Expedition Everest Captain EO Cheshire Cat 1 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Ive met another MouseScrapper

kateolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Kim
In the Hall of Presidents

Software: PSE 6
Camera: Olympus Stylus 1010
I like this idea, so here is a layout I was having a problem with. Here is what I ended up with:
Mouse Ears Sorcerer\'s Hat United States of America Monorail Disney Vacation Club Member Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Magical Express Star Tours Rocket Jets Wish VoluntEAR - Castle I love DCL! Pirate Flag

Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Carolc
Administrator

Awesome, everyone... I'm glad you gave this a try!

Studio1955

Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
kateolas
Staying the night at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Software: Photoshop CC 2017 and Photoshop CS2
Camera: GE X500, Sony CyberShot
Carol this was a great challenge ..... can we use it again? And next time maybe pick at group of colors we all need to use ... thanks for posting.

Left loves for everyone so far.

Mouse Ears United States of America Mickey\'s glove Mickeys shoe Mickey\'s shorts I link to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for being an outstanding contributor Me!iss@! Teacups Pirate Flag Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Earful Tower Sorcerer\'s Hat Pirate Ears Monorail Speed Scrapper! Expedition Everest Captain EO Cheshire Cat 1 Wish VoluntEAR - Castle Ive met another MouseScrapper

kateolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Carolc
Administrator

Hi Melissa,

Since this is more of a learning exercise, you can post as many layouts here as you want. So far, everyone has used blue and orange... there are still other complementary colors you can try... how about red/green or purple/yellow?

I am planning to have a split-complementary challenge at some point, but I'm still planning to let you choose the colors. I'm sure one of the weekly challenge hosts will use a color swatch sometime with specific colors... I wanted to keep this one open as more of a 'try this' exercise.

Thanks so much for participating! Please try another one... I look forward to seeing it!

Carol

Studio1955

Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
larkd
Heading to the Contemporary Resort

Software: PSE10
there seems to be a theme with the choice of colors. Add me to the list of the purple and yellows:

My friends & I "brave" the dreaded Jellyfish ride

Speed Scrapper! Mouse Ears United States of America Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Teacups Sorcerer\'s Hat Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Earful Tower Expedition Everest Monorail Star Tours Christmas Tree Panda Mickey Pumpkin Cheshire Cat 1 Eiffel Tower Cozy Cone Motel Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Skyway Turkey Anna

larkd is offline   Reply With Quote