MouseScrappers.com  

Go Back   MouseScrappers.com > Scrapbooking > Tutorials > Tutorial requests
Click here to view our Sponsors Click here to visit us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest
Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
inkspots
Enjoying the whimsy of PhilharMagic

Software: PSCS5, PSE 5.0
Camera: Canon 40D
ISO: specific shadowing tutorial

I posted this on another site, but then realized that they probably can't really outside link. I'm looking for a shadowing tutorial, but not of the usual sort. I want to add extra shadows to those items, like string, word art, that are being "wrapped around" somehting? Does that make sense? Also, is it possible to put lumps in pages? I recently did a page with flags behind it, can I "raise" my paper a bit to get the look of the poles behind it? I need step by step, with photos (I'm a visual learner). I work with PS5. Thanks so much!!! I'm really trying to get my shadowing improved.

Thanks!

inkspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
This Dixie Pixie
E Ticket Holder

I'll have to see if I can find the tut somewhere. To make a "lump" use your burn tool. For extra depth, use your dodge tool for a highlight on side of the light source of the lump.

To shadow an element (ie string) that is wrapped around something else, duplicate your string and put the duplicated layer underneath whatever you are wrapping it around (ie frame). You delete the bits on the top element and only shadow the bottom one. Whatever is left on top that requires shadowing, use your burn tool.

To delete the bits of string on top, ctrl+click on the thumbnail of your frame to get marching ants around it. Now click on the top string layer (marching ants will still be around your frame) and use your quick selection tool to unselect the parts that you do not want erased. Make sure you have the "subtract from selection" on the top bar selected when you do this. When you are satisfied, you can ctrl+x to remove the selected parts of the string. What you should end up with is the string "wrapped around" the frame. If not, thank goodness for ctrl+z!

I'll go see if I can find those tuts so you can see some pictures!
I link to MouseScrappers! Monorail Speed Scrapper! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Mouse Ears Magical Express Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Canada Rocket Jets Sorcerer\'s Hat I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Cheshire Cat 1 Carousel horse Star Tours Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mickeys shoe Pop Century Jungle Cruise Skyway United States of America Pirate Dog Teacups

Last edited by This Dixie Pixie; 07-26-2011 at 03:46 AM.

This Dixie Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
This Dixie Pixie
E Ticket Holder

Ok, this shows how to make the "lump"

Post 2

It looks like the tut I was looking for about shadowing woven elements has been taken down. I'll see if I can write one up.
I link to MouseScrappers! Monorail Speed Scrapper! Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Mouse Ears Magical Express Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Canada Rocket Jets Sorcerer\'s Hat I got Maleficent as a dragon for referring people to MouseScrappers! Minnie\'s Bow Halloween 2010 - Limited Edition Mickey\'s shorts It\'s a Small World Cheshire Cat 1 Carousel horse Star Tours Captain EO Mickey\'s glove Minnie\'s Shoe Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar I got Cinderella Castle for referring people to MouseScrappers! Mickeys shoe Pop Century Jungle Cruise Skyway United States of America Pirate Dog Teacups

Old 07-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
This Dixie Pixie
E Ticket Holder

Shadowing woven element

I know it looks daunting, but it only takes a few times and you will be doing this in your sleep.

Step 1
Duplicate the element (ie ribbon) and place duplicated layer under object to be woven around (ie frame)

Step 2
Ctrl+click on the thumbnail of the frame. Marching ants will appear around the frame

Step 3
Move your cursor to highlight the top ribbon layer. Then use your quick selection tool. Make sure it's on subtract from selection.

Remove the marching ants from the parts that you want to keep on the top of the frame. Only the part of the ribbon that will be "under" the frame should have marching ants now. Notice you don't have to be neat - just make sure that the parts you want erased are selected.

Step 4
Press Ctrl+x or Delete to delete the parts that are on the top that shouldn't be

Step 5
Shadow the bottom ribbon only. I use a drop shadow action. Don't forget to shadow the frame too.

You can use the burn tool to add a shadow under the top ribbon over the frame if you think you need it. There is a more involved way of shadowing if you have clusters of flowers and stuff on your ribbon. I'll leave it at this though so it's not overwhelming, but let me know if you want those instructions. I hope you find this tut easy to use!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
marinapj
Staying the night in the Beach Club

Software: Photoshop CS5
Camera: Nikon D-5100
Great tutorial Donna! Thank you so much!
Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! Star Tours Mickey\'s shorts Mouse Ears Mickeys shoe Magical Express Rocket Jets Expedition Everest Pirate Flag Mickey Pumpkin Boardwalk 1 Earful Tower Minnie\'s Bow Mickey\'s glove Contemporary Resort 1 Minnie\'s Shoe Captain EO Contemporary Resort 2 2011 Special Edition pin #2 Sleeping Beauty\'s Castle (Disneyland) Teacups Cheshire Cat 1 I link to MouseScrappers! Thanks for hosting Mickey Bar Monorail It\'s a Small World

marinapj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
inkspots

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! This was exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't easily find from google. (It's so hard to know just the right words to ask.) I was given a list of a couple Saturday Special tutorials on Scrap Matters for shadowing too, and they also have a pretty good one on wrapping shadows. The one I was really looking for was the lumps. Off to see if I can make it work!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
inkspots

I got it to look somewhat realistic on the red paper, but couldn't figure out the white. Any suggestions? Here's the image.

this is the original so doesn't show anything that I played with. I'm wanting to bend the paper over the flag poles.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
This Dixie Pixie
E Ticket Holder

You're trying to make the lumps, right? Did you try playing with midtones and highlights with your brushes? I have to go to my old computer to open up photoshop and see if I can think of anything else. I'm definitely no expert. I can ask the girl who wrote the tutorial too if you can't get it to work.

Sorry I didn't see this before. Haven't been able to get on these boards very much in the past couple weeks due to a death in the family. Not a lot of internet access in the hospital or at my Mother In Law's house.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
inkspots

No problem, sorry for your loss. Yes, tring to get the lumps of the flag poles to show up

Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
ivonne4kids
I'm on the tram

Great tips!!!

ivonne4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photoshop, shadowing, tutorial