MouseScrappers.com

MouseScrappers.com (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9678)
-   -   Picture grid on Globe in GIMP (http://mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4736)

buttner-jenkins 07-06-2010 06:18 PM

Picture grid on Globe in GIMP
 
I have been totally awestruck with Paula's (ILuvCrush) globe layouts, here is her latest
http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...36_FkLy2-L.jpg

She uses SBC+3.0 which I don't use, but found this tut specifically for GIMP. Have so far just played around with some spare photo's and the end result it TOTALLY works! :yeah:

http://boitblog.blogspot.com/search?q=globe

And the following will help with applying an easy GIMP reflection
http://www.pixel2life.com/viewtutori...tions_in_gimp/

ILuvCrush 07-06-2010 08:51 PM

Hey Mo!

You are a step ahead of me lol! I wanted to get at posting the tutorial today or tomarrow... but I'm too slow!:rolleyes:

Anyhoo....

as Mo said, I use SBC+ and there is a terrific webinar tutorial that explains how to make the globe WAAAAYYYYY better than I ever could!

you can find it at pixels2pages.net HERE!!

For those without GIMP or SBC+
I did play with it using photoimpact and was able to duplicate it using the same basic steps.

The short and dirty way to try it is:
1. Make 7 square photo frames across and down in a grid.
2. Add photos (best ones in middle, outer ones are very squished!) and mat,
if desired
3. Group and flatten entire grid.
4. Then use a filter to 'spherize' and trim off any excess. Voila! In my program,the filter is called 'spherize' but depending on your program, you may have to hunt a little.
5. Add a matching circle behind your globe to 'colorize' the empty spaces
between the pictures

to make the reflection:
1. copy and paste your globe
2. flip the new copy vertically
3. use your programs blending tool to make the copy vanish as it gets farther
away from the original
4. use the opacity tool/filter to make the reflected globe lighter

and thats it!

Rather than make a grid initially, I played around just using paper til I got the sphere to work. When I tried modifying the steps to try it in my photoimpact program... it was much simpler to cut my paper or grid into a circle first before spherizing it....since unlike SBC+, photoimpact didn't give the option to just delete the excess. It was a bit of a pain to get rid of it manually.

Hope that you give it a try!
If you figure out any tips to doing this with other programs... please add it to the thread!!

CarmenF 07-06-2010 09:05 PM

THanks!!!!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah: You rock!

Ben's Mommy 07-07-2010 03:22 PM

Hi Girls,

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!! I have no idea what GIMP or SBC is ... do you think I would be able to do this in Photoshop? I'll have to do some internet research!!

:thanks:

poohaddict 07-07-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvCrush (Post 30160)

to make the reflection:
1. copy and paste your globe
2. flip the new copy vertically
3. use your programs blending tool to make the copy vanish as it gets farther
away from the original
4. use the opacity tool/filter to make the reflected globe lighter

and thats it!

I use SBC+ and for over an hour have looled for the blend function could you help me out. :thanks:

buttner-jenkins 07-07-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben's Mommy (Post 30300)
Hi Girls,

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!! I have no idea what GIMP or SBC is ... do you think I would be able to do this in Photoshop? I'll have to do some internet research!!

:thanks:

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is TOTALLY free :yeah: and with free upgrades available from time to time when developers iron out bugs or add new features. In my book it is comparable to Photoshop Elements, and with monies being tied GIMP sure fuels my digiscrapbooking addition :hooray:

roxana 07-07-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben's Mommy (Post 30300)
Hi Girls,

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!! I have no idea what GIMP or SBC is ... do you think I would be able to do this in Photoshop? I'll have to do some internet research!!

:thanks:

I scraplifted Paula´s first globe layout, you can see it in this thread: http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums...ead.php?t=3420
Did it with CS5, but couldn´t get the globe like Paula´s because I used a 6x6 squares template(should be an odd number), then I tried with 5x5, and didn´t get it either, maybe it´s just me that I´m new to the 3D function. :blush:. PS7 doesn´t have it, I think it comes only with the CS versions.

ILuvCrush 07-07-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohaddict (Post 30332)
I use SBC+ and for over an hour have looled for the blend function could you help me out. :thanks:

Okey Dokey!

On the functions ribbon along the top of the screen... select the tab marked
cut&fill

now select the 'arrow' to open 'straight'

select 'blended edge'

the shaded area will be the part that will disappear when you click 'cut'
so that it blends smoothly and doesn't just chop off... there are 3 'edges' to the cutting line. The one set will spread evenly apart when you click on it and drag it. This double line will determine how quickly your image will fade out. The wider it is the more gradual the blending.

I usually have to try it a few times... and use the wonderful 'undo' button til I get it how I want.

Hope that makes sense! I wish I knew how to do those screen shots like Tanya does... I don't think I explain things as well as I can 'show' them...kwim??

poohaddict 07-08-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvCrush (Post 30371)
Okey Dokey!

On the functions ribbon along the top of the screen... select the tab marked
cut&fill

now select the 'arrow' to open 'straight'

select 'blended edge'

the shaded area will be the part that will disappear when you click 'cut'
so that it blends smoothly and doesn't just chop off... there are 3 'edges' to the cutting line. The one set will spread evenly apart when you click on it and drag it. This double line will determine how quickly your image will fade out. The wider it is the more gradual the blending.

I usually have to try it a few times... and use the wonderful 'undo' button til I get it how I want.

Hope that makes sense! I wish I knew how to do those screen shots like Tanya does... I don't think I explain things as well as I can 'show' them...kwim??

I thought it might have been that but couldn't figure it out. I got it now though. :woohoo::thanks:

hickman4638 07-09-2010 12:32 PM

I use PSE 8 and it works!!! I am still finishing the paper and reflection, but so far got the globe perfectly!

Thanks so much!

Ben's Mommy 07-09-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30591)
I use PSE 8 and it works!!! I am still finishing the paper and reflection, but so far got the globe perfectly!

Thanks so much!

Be sure to post your finish layout!! I also use Photoshop but haven't attempted the globe (but I'd love to see yours) :wave:

hickman4638 07-09-2010 08:01 PM

http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...phere_2_MS.jpg

Here is my first attempt at copying in PSE8..

ILuvCrush 07-09-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30654)
http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...phere_2_MS.jpg

Here is my first attempt at copying in PSE8..

Great job!! I'm so glad you posted it
:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

These are awfully addictive to make.... I have several now:whistle:

roxana 07-10-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30654)
http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...phere_2_MS.jpg

Here is my first attempt at copying in PSE8..

It´s great, your globe is amazing. How many squares did you used? so far I have used 5x5 and 6x6, and still I don´t get a square pic in the center, Paula told me to use 7x7 but I haven´t tried it yet. You can see my globe here http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums...ead.php?t=3420.
:goodjob:

Ben's Mommy 07-10-2010 06:41 AM

THIS IS AWESOME!! Now that I know I can do this is PSE8 I'll definitely make one too :yeah:

Thanks for posting this - it looks great; fantastic reflection too!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30654)
http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...phere_2_MS.jpg

Here is my first attempt at copying in PSE8..


hickman4638 07-10-2010 03:53 PM

PSE8 - Creating the Globe
 
For PSE8, I followed ILuvCrush's directions mostly (just had to find the equivalent in PSE8)

To Make the Globe:
1. Make 7 square photo frames across and down in a grid. (I used a square template resized from one of my existing templates)
2. Add photos (best ones in middle, outer ones are very squished!) and mat, if desired – color between the pictures if you want a color other than white before the next step.
3. Layer --> Flatten Image
4. Filter --> Distort --> Spherize
5. Once you have the Sphere, you need to cut the globe out. I use my Cookie Cutter Tool - choose Circle - set cutter options to fixed size (I put 10x10). This will give you the grid lines so you can pull it to the size you want to give perfect circle with no erasing of edges needed.
6. Once complete, you can resize to globe to size and direction you want it to be

To Make the Globe Reflection:
1. Create a Duplicate Layer of the Globe – Name it Reflection
2. Image – Rotate – Flip Layer Vertical
3. Move the image down below the Globe and place –move it around until it is in the right place. Resize as needed.
4. Add background papers (or color filled layers) as needed – I used a lighter on top of a darker color layer so when I faded the reflection, the darker would show through. I put the lighter color on top of the darker color so the bottom layer was the darker color to show through.
5.. PSE does not have a Layer Mask function as Photoshop does, so I downloaded a free set of Layer Masks to make it much easier to be able to blend the background and hide the bottom of the reflection globe.
I downloaded Grant’s Tools found at: http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Cha...ols/Files.html
To load the tools, do the following:
• Download the zip file and then unzip all folders.
• Copy all files to the following path on your system (make sure all folders are unhidden in the control panel if you can not locate)
• For Windows 7/Vista -- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations\photo effects
• For Windows XP -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects
• Go to the following path - C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en US OR C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en-US and then change the following file named MediaDatabase.db3 to MediaDatabaseOLD.db3
• Open PSE and wait for it to rebuild that database. Could take a few minutes the first time you start it back up.
5. Once Grant Tools Loaded, on the reflection Layer previously created add the Layer Mask (if added correctly, they will be in the Effects Palette on the right under Photo Effects (3rd picture)
6. Select the gradient tool on the left Tool Bin. Once that is selected, go up to the tool menu and select Linear Gradient. Finally, make sure black is set as the foreground color.
7. On your layout, click where you want the fading to start and drag to where you want it to end. The shorter the distance you drag the more abrupt the fading, and the longer distance you drag the more gradual the fading. Try it again and again dragging in different directions, even at angles, until you achieve the look you want.
I just played around with it until it got the dark
8. I added a layer mask again to the lighter paper choice and did the gradient fill again as in #7 above. This brought the darker color paper through.
9. Select the reflection layer and the picture of your globe in the layers palette. Use the Opacity selector (at the top in the Layers Palette to make the globe lighter until achieves the look you want.

Please let me know if any questions!! Good Luck!!

buttner-jenkins 07-10-2010 06:36 PM

Thanks so much for posting the PSE8 instructions, this is fantastic :hooray:

Ben's Mommy 07-11-2010 09:21 AM

Thank you so much for posting the PSE8 instructions!!! I am sure I wouldn't have been able to figure this out myself :hooray:

Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30721)
For PSE8, I followed ILuvCrush's directions mostly (just had to find the equivalent in PSE8)

To Make the Globe:
1. Make 7 square photo frames across and down in a grid. (I used a square template resized from one of my existing templates)
2. Add photos (best ones in middle, outer ones are very squished!) and mat, if desired – color between the pictures if you want a color other than white before the next step.
3. Layer --> Flatten Image
4. Filter --> Distort --> Spherize
5. Once you have the Sphere, you need to cut the globe out. I use my Cookie Cutter Tool - choose Circle - set cutter options to fixed size (I put 10x10). This will give you the grid lines so you can pull it to the size you want to give perfect circle with no erasing of edges needed.
6. Once complete, you can resize to globe to size and direction you want it to be

To Make the Globe Reflection:
1. Create a Duplicate Layer of the Globe – Name it Reflection
2. Image – Rotate – Flip Layer Vertical
3. Move the image down below the Globe and place –move it around until it is in the right place. Resize as needed.
4. Add background papers (or color filled layers) as needed – I used a lighter on top of a darker color layer so when I faded the reflection, the darker would show through. I put the lighter color on top of the darker color so the bottom layer was the darker color to show through.
5.. PSE does not have a Layer Mask function as Photoshop does, so I downloaded a free set of Layer Masks to make it much easier to be able to blend the background and hide the bottom of the reflection globe.
I downloaded Grant’s Tools found at: http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Cha...ols/Files.html
To load the tools, do the following:
• Download the zip file and then unzip all folders.
• Copy all files to the following path on your system (make sure all folders are unhidden in the control panel if you can not locate)
• For Windows 7/Vista -- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations\photo effects
• For Windows XP -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects
• Go to the following path - C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en US OR C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en-US and then change the following file named MediaDatabase.db3 to MediaDatabaseOLD.db3
• Open PSE and wait for it to rebuild that database. Could take a few minutes the first time you start it back up.
5. Once Grant Tools Loaded, on the reflection Layer previously created add the Layer Mask (if added correctly, they will be in the Effects Palette on the right under Photo Effects (3rd picture)
6. Select the gradient tool on the left Tool Bin. Once that is selected, go up to the tool menu and select Linear Gradient. Finally, make sure black is set as the foreground color.
7. On your layout, click where you want the fading to start and drag to where you want it to end. The shorter the distance you drag the more abrupt the fading, and the longer distance you drag the more gradual the fading. Try it again and again dragging in different directions, even at angles, until you achieve the look you want.
I just played around with it until it got the dark
8. I added a layer mask again to the lighter paper choice and did the gradient fill again as in #7 above. This brought the darker color paper through.
9. Select the reflection layer and the picture of your globe in the layers palette. Use the Opacity selector (at the top in the Layers Palette to make the globe lighter until achieves the look you want.

Please let me know if any questions!! Good Luck!!


roxana 07-11-2010 09:33 AM

Thanks for the instructions, I´ll give a try on the reflection. And on the globe I´ll try with Filters, I´ve been doing it with the 3D function and it takes a long time to change into a sphere and I´m not getting my globe as great as yours.

WDW Scrap Princess 07-15-2010 12:24 PM

everybody did so nice! If I come up with one I will make sure to post it, now we need in MS a separate section to post Disney World Globes! :yeah:

winipeg1 07-16-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW Scrap Princess (Post 31319)
now we need in MS a separate section to post Disney World Globes! :yeah:

LOL I have also been inspire by all the globes. I have made my own using GIMP as I dont use Photoshop. It took me about 45 mins but I am pleased with the outcome. I will post my LO when finished.

luv2scrapmm 07-20-2010 07:33 PM

http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...th_for_web.jpg:credits:

I tried playing with another globe. They're addicting:D. For my China globe http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos..._globe_web.jpg I used a lot of different pix and a 7x7 grid. For this one I used the same photo for all the squares and used a 4x4 grid.

larkd 07-21-2010 07:51 PM

OMG! What gorgeous layout!

larkd 07-21-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30654)
http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...phere_2_MS.jpg

Here is my first attempt at copying in PSE8..



Fantastic job. I have PSE 7. Hopefully it will work as well.

luv2scrapmm 07-22-2010 03:43 AM

If anyone has created a globe, I started a thread here to post them.

http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums...ead.php?t=4866

roxana 07-22-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2scrapmm (Post 32066)
If anyone has created a globe, I stared a thread here to post them.

http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums...ead.php?t=4866

Great idea!!!:hooray::hooray::hooray:

This Dixie Pixie 07-22-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 30721)
For PSE8, I followed ILuvCrush's directions mostly (just had to find the equivalent in PSE8)

To Make the Globe:
1. Make 7 square photo frames across and down in a grid. (I used a square template resized from one of my existing templates)
2. Add photos (best ones in middle, outer ones are very squished!) and mat, if desired – color between the pictures if you want a color other than white before the next step.
3. Layer --> Flatten Image
4. Filter --> Distort --> Spherize
5. Once you have the Sphere, you need to cut the globe out. I use my Cookie Cutter Tool - choose Circle - set cutter options to fixed size (I put 10x10). This will give you the grid lines so you can pull it to the size you want to give perfect circle with no erasing of edges needed.
6. Once complete, you can resize to globe to size and direction you want it to be

<snip>

Please let me know if any questions!! Good Luck!!

I am so excited to see these instructions because this globe stuff is awesome! But... I got it to Step 5:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...m/7c27bb85.jpg

But it's a major fail when I do the cookie cutter:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...m/a2e32bcf.jpg

I'm very new to digiscrapping and this is my 3rd day with PSE. (PSE8) What have I missed?

lamcnany 07-23-2010 04:46 AM

Picture grid on globe
 
I can't help you with the cookie cutter problem as I got the same thing you did. Hopefully someone will answer as to what we are missing.

ILuvCrush 07-23-2010 06:47 AM

I don't have PSE ... but based on my own program.... when I do a 'cookie cutter type' cut I can either erase OR copy the shape. Maybe you can copy it instead??? It almost looks like you are using a donut shape...instead of a circle. Is there another shape???

If you can copy the inside shape, then you can get rid of the original with the edges.

That's my suggestions.... at least until one of the PSE girls chimes in!!

WDW Scrap Princess 07-23-2010 07:10 AM

I just think you are not done yet, Now you will need clip out or select your Globe/Sphere and put it in another layer or background and then you are done. No Squares behind! Just an idea…

This Dixie Pixie 07-23-2010 08:26 AM

Oh i think that's the problem - I'm using a doughnut shape instead of a circle. It is described as a circle thin frame. I think I have to see if I can find circle cookie cutters to add to my program since there is no actual "circle". I ended up using the elliptical tool, holding shift, but it didn't make the circle the exact right size no matter what I tried. I think spherizing (wow, is that even a word? :D) changes it from an exact circle just the slightest. So I ended up making the elliptical circle just a smidge larger and erasing the little bits that hung out. Definitely doing it the hard way. :blush:

But I did it. And it's posted in the Globe thread now. :)

agrievingmommy 07-23-2010 08:27 AM

K, girls, your layouts are so fantastic that I've just gotta try this!!!

WDW Scrap Princess 07-23-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Dixie Pixie (Post 32185)
Oh i think that's the problem - I'm using a doughnut shape instead of a circle. It is described as a circle thin frame. I think I have to see if I can find circle cookie cutters to add to my program since there is no actual "circle". I ended up using the elliptical tool, holding shift, but it didn't make the circle the exact right size no matter what I tried. I think spherizing (wow, is that even a word? :D) changes it from an exact circle just the slightest. So I ended up making the elliptical circle just a smidge larger and erasing the little bits that hung out. Definitely doing it the hard way. :blush:

But I did it. And it's posted in the Globe thread now. :)


I Love the subject of your globe! Song of the South...Beautiful!!!:hooray:

This Dixie Pixie 07-23-2010 06:53 PM

Oh man, the globe is so addicting. I can totally see an entire album of just globe LOs. :D

luv2scrapmm 07-24-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Dixie Pixie (Post 32242)
Oh man, the globe is so addicting. I can totally see an entire album of just globe LOs. :D

Don't I know it:D. There really neat!

WDW Scrap Princess 07-24-2010 07:16 AM

How do I do Step one in PSE8??????
 
I am DYING to make mine :yeah:but i have a major problem!!!:mad:

How do i do step one? the making of the squares?

I do not know how to do that?

larkd 07-31-2010 07:39 PM

Here's my first shot at this process:

http://www.mousescrappers.com/photos...d_edited-1.jpg


Thanks to everyone for the tutorials and tips

hickman4638 08-01-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW Scrap Princess (Post 32326)
I am DYING to make mine :yeah:but i have a major problem!!!:mad:

How do i do step one? the making of the squares?

I do not know how to do that?

I opened a new file -- 12x12
I then opened an existing template I had that had a square in it and pulled it over to my blank file. Then I just resized that square to a smaller size and then duplicate layered it over and over to get the 7x7 squares.
Once I had them all layed out the way I wanted, save the file so you have as a blank template. Then add your pictures and keep going.

hickman4638 08-01-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Dixie Pixie (Post 32185)
Oh i think that's the problem - I'm using a doughnut shape instead of a circle. It is described as a circle thin frame. I think I have to see if I can find circle cookie cutters to add to my program since there is no actual "circle". I ended up using the elliptical tool, holding shift, but it didn't make the circle the exact right size no matter what I tried. I think spherizing (wow, is that even a word? :D) changes it from an exact circle just the slightest. So I ended up making the elliptical circle just a smidge larger and erasing the little bits that hung out. Definitely doing it the hard way. :blush:

But I did it. And it's posted in the Globe thread now. :)

In PSE 8, mine is already there and is called Circle. There are several different circle ones, one that is frame, one that is thin frame, but I used the one that just said Circle. It is a big black circle filled in with white on outside (picture in the cookie cutter tool).

Hope that helps!

luv2scrapmm 08-02-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hickman4638 (Post 34370)
In PSE 8, mine is already there and is called Circle. There are several different circle ones, one that is frame, one that is thin frame, but I used the one that just said Circle. It is a big black circle filled in with white on outside (picture in the cookie cutter tool).

Hope that helps!

I don't have that one but I am using the trial version I downloaded from Adobe. That might not be available in the trial for PSE8. My brother lives near Costco and got the program on sale for me so I'll be converting to the full program soon.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Copyright 2009 - 2024 MouseScrappers.com, All rights reserved.
MouseScrappers.com is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries.
Visit Disney's official web site at Disney.com As to Disney artwork, logos and properties: © Disney
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger